Looking for some advice on video cards

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for some advice on video cards

Postby rhomp2002 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 0:24

I am getting a new computer with Intel Core 2 Duo E4400. I am starting with the graphic card that is built in to the chip. What I am looking for is some advice on cards that could be added later that will work well with Linux. I was using an old NVIDIA Gefore 5200 w/ 128MB on my old computer which was an AMD Athlon XP 3000+. No problems but I want some good advice on the best approach to take with this new computer. I am not a gamer at all. In fact they bore me to death. I do like to look at videos though.

One suggestion was to install an ASUS Silent 7600 GS w/ 512MB. That was from a guy who is a total M$ geek and won't even look at any other possibilities. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
rhomp2002
Simple Hen

Re: Looking for some advice on video cards

Postby wolfden » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:29

I have always gone with Nvidia, best for linux support
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby j7uy5 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:15

You might be able to get by fine with the NVIDIA 5200, is you are not planning on gaming. I happen to use an FX 5500 with two monitors attached, and the performance is acceptable: I'd like it to be better, but it is good enough that I am not yet willing to spend the money for an upgrade. If I were you, I'd try the old card and see if it is satisfactory for you. If so, that's the end of the discussion. If not, something in the 7-thousand series would be fine, assuming you find a great price. Even with compiz-fusion, you do not need a great card.
j7uy5
Simple Hen

Postby ckoller » Sun Oct 07, 2007 18:22

AMD (which bought ATI) seem to publish the specs of the newer graphic processors. Open Source 3d accelerated drivers are then hopefully no more far away. I don't support closed source proprietary drivers.
ckoller
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware