Looking for some advice on video cards

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Looking for some advice on video cards

by rhomp2002 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 0:24

I am getting a new computer with Intel Core 2 Duo E4400. I am starting with the graphic card that is built in to the chip. What I am looking for is some advice on cards that could be added later that will work well with Linux. I was using an old NVIDIA Gefore 5200 w/ 128MB on my old computer which was an AMD Athlon XP 3000+. No problems but I want some good advice on the best approach to take with this new computer. I am not a gamer at all. In fact they bore me to death. I do like to look at videos though.

One suggestion was to install an ASUS Silent 7600 GS w/ 512MB. That was from a guy who is a total M$ geek and won't even look at any other possibilities. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
rhomp2002
Simple Hen

Re: Looking for some advice on video cards

by wolfden » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:29

I have always gone with Nvidia, best for linux support
wolfden
Sharecropper

by j7uy5 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:15

You might be able to get by fine with the NVIDIA 5200, is you are not planning on gaming. I happen to use an FX 5500 with two monitors attached, and the performance is acceptable: I'd like it to be better, but it is good enough that I am not yet willing to spend the money for an upgrade. If I were you, I'd try the old card and see if it is satisfactory for you. If so, that's the end of the discussion. If not, something in the 7-thousand series would be fine, assuming you find a great price. Even with compiz-fusion, you do not need a great card.
j7uy5
Simple Hen

by ckoller » Sun Oct 07, 2007 18:22

AMD (which bought ATI) seem to publish the specs of the newer graphic processors. Open Source 3d accelerated drivers are then hopefully no more far away. I don't support closed source proprietary drivers.
ckoller
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware