Beryl Settings Manager stops working

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Beryl Settings Manager stops working

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 19:18

I've seen this problem posted on various sites -- including the Beryl site (God rest Beryl!) -- but seen no solution... until now:

On my laptop Beryl is working fine, but nothing happened when I right-click on the Beryl icon and selected Beryl Settings Manager from the menu. So I opened a Terminal window and typed beryl-settings:

Code: Select all
$ beryl-settings
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/beryl-settings", line 23, in <module>
    import gtk
ImportError: No module named gtk

So I typed the following as root in a Terminal window:

emerge -av pygobject pygtk

which then left me with:

$ beryl-settings
    import gtk
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 48, in <module>
    from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: No module named cairo

emerge -av cairo

which then left me with:

$ beryl-settings
    import gtk
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 48, in <module>
    from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: No module named cairo

emerge -av pycairo

And now, if I type:

beryl-settings

or right-click on the Beryl icon and select Beryl Settings Manager from the menu, the Beryl Settings Manager pops up just like it should. Voila!

I'm not sure, but you may need to have Python 2.5 installed for this to work. So, if the above procedure does not fix the problem with beryl-settings, try doing this:

python-updater

and if that fails, use redirection to save the output of python-updater into a text file (e.g. python-updater > /home/Fitzcarraldo/Desktop/file.txt) and edit it to create a list similar to the one below (N.B. this is for my laptop; you cannot just cut and paste it, as your system is different to mine):

emerge --oneshot app-accessibility/orca x11-libs/vte media-gfx/graphviz net-wireless/libbtctl net-dns/avahi app-emulation/libvirt app-emulation/virtinst sys-apps/file app-admin/gamin app-admin/pessulus app-admin/sabayon app-admin/webapp-config app-pda/pilot-link dev-python/gnome-python-desktop dev-python/pycrypto dev-python/PyQt4 dev-python/fpconst dev-python/pylirc dev-python/pygobject dev-python/python-ldap dev-python/gnome-python-extras dev-python/pygtkglext dev-python/egenix-mx-base dev-python/egenix-mx-base dev-python/pyogg dev-python/pyrex dev-python/pyid3lib dev-python/pycrash dev-python/gst-python dev-python/ctypes dev-python/PyQt dev-python/celementtree dev-python/setuptools dev-python/wxpython dev-python/soappy dev-python/id3-py dev-python/gst-python dev-python/Coherence dev-python/python-fchksum dev-python/pygame dev-python/mmpython dev-python/pythondialog dev-python/pyopengl dev-python/pycairo dev-python/elementtree dev-python/pyxml dev-python/pymad dev-python/pygtk dev-python/pyparted dev-python/pyvorbis dev-python/pykde dev-python/twisted-web dev-python/pyorbit dev-python/eyeD3 dev-python/nevow dev-python/pyopenssl dev-python/pysqlite dev-python/urlgrabber dev-python/twisted dev-python/configobj dev-python/gnome-python dev-python/m2crypto dev-python/python-musicbrainz2 dev-python/cddb-py dev-python/numeric dev-python/imaging dev-python/dbus-python dev-python/Louie media-libs/tunepimp media-libs/libgpod media-libs/mutagen media-libs/pigment media-libs/lcms app-portage/layman app-misc/beagle gnome-extra/deskbar-applet gnome-extra/gnome-games gnome-extra/libgsf app-cdr/serpentine dev-java/antlr dev-java/java-config media-tv/elisa gnome-base/gnome-applets gnome-base/gnome-menus dev-util/subversion dev-util/scons x11-misc/alacarte app-text/mftrace net-fs/samba dev-libs/beecrypt

and run it in a Terminal window as root.

Then repeat the compilations for pygobject, pygtk, cairo and pycairo given above.

I now have my Beryl Settings Manager back. :)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Beryl Settings Manager stops working

Postby Gobaith » Tue Oct 02, 2007 22:49

Mine doesn't even get a chance to tell me there's no gtk module..
beryl-settings
  File "/usr/bin/beryl-settings", line 22, in <module>
    import berylsettings
ImportError: No module named berylsettings

I've tried editing /usr/bin/beryl-settings and changing
#!/usr/bin/env python
to
#!/usr/bin/env python2.5
but that hasn't seemed to make one bit of difference. any suggestions?

could it be that I need to run python-updater?(having plenty of issues with that as well.)
Gobaith
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Fri Oct 05, 2007 15:54

I also had some issues when I upgraded to python-2.5.

The python-updater was great for telling me which packages needed to be reinstalled, but it seemed like some of the packages needed to be reinstalled in the right order.

So I would run 'python-updater -p' (for pretend), and then manually re-emerge'd the packages listed. If a package had trouble emerge-ing, I would just skip it and come back to it later.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby Gobaith » Sat Oct 06, 2007 16:36

what about when there's no ebuilds to satisfy these dependencies? This is the output from python-updater
 * Starting Python Updater from 2.4 to 2.5 :
 * Searching for packages with files in /usr/lib/python2.4 /usr/lib32/python2.4 /usr/lib64/python2.4 ..
 * Adding to list: =gnome-extra/libgsf-1.14.2
 * Adding to list: =net-dns/avahi-0.6.16-r1
 * Adding to list: =dev-util/subversion-1.4.2
 * Adding to list: =x11-misc/beryl-settings-bindings-0.2.0
 * Adding to list: =net-fs/samba-3.0.24
 * Adding to list: =media-libs/libgpod-0.4.2
 * Adding to list: =media-libs/lcms-1.15
 * Adding to list: =media-libs/mutagen-1.9
 * Adding to list: =media-libs/ming-0.2a-r3
 * Adding to list: =media-libs/tunepimp-0.5.2
 * Adding to list: =app-admin/gamin-0.1.8
 * Adding to list: =dev-libs/libxml2-2.6.27
 * Adding to list: =dev-libs/libxslt-1.1.20
 * Adding to list: =app-portage/layman-1.0.10
 * Adding to list: =x11-libs/vte-0.14.1
 * Adding to list: =sys-libs/cracklib-2.8.9-r1
 * Adding to list: =sys-libs/libcap-1.10-r9
 * Adding to list: =sys-libs/libselinux-1.30.29
 * Adding to list: =sys-apps/file-4.19
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/gnome-python-2.16.2
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/pyopenssl-0.6-r1
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/pycrypto-2.0.1-r5
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/pyopengl-2.0.1.09
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/pygobject-2.12.3
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/pyrex-0.9.4.1
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/pyparted-1.7.0
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/pyxf86config-0.3.30
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/eyeD3-0.6.10
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/pyxml-0.8.4
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/pyorbit-2.14.1
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/egenix-mx-base-2.0.6
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/dbus-python-0.80.1
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/elementtree-1.2.6
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/python-musicbrainz2-0.3.1
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/pycairo-1.2.6
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/python-fchksum-1.7.1
 * Adding to list: =dev-python/pygtk-2.10.3
 * Adding to list: =net-wireless/libbtctl-0.8.1

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies  ..... ..... .
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=gnome-extra/libgsf-1.14.2".

could this be solved by setting the appropriate use flags?
Gobaith
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Oct 06, 2007 17:39

I had the same problem. Redirect the output of python-updater into a text file instead of the console, and edit it to create a list like the following without specific package versions (N.B. this is for my laptop, you cannot just cut and paste it as your system is different to mine):

emerge --oneshot app-accessibility/orca x11-libs/vte media-gfx/graphviz net-wireless/libbtctl net-dns/avahi app-emulation/libvirt app-emulation/virtinst sys-apps/file app-admin/gamin app-admin/pessulus app-admin/sabayon app-admin/webapp-config app-pda/pilot-link dev-python/gnome-python-desktop dev-python/pycrypto dev-python/PyQt4 dev-python/fpconst dev-python/pylirc dev-python/pygobject dev-python/python-ldap dev-python/gnome-python-extras dev-python/pygtkglext dev-python/egenix-mx-base dev-python/egenix-mx-base dev-python/pyogg dev-python/pyrex dev-python/pyid3lib dev-python/pycrash dev-python/gst-python dev-python/ctypes dev-python/PyQt dev-python/celementtree dev-python/setuptools dev-python/wxpython dev-python/soappy dev-python/id3-py dev-python/gst-python dev-python/Coherence dev-python/python-fchksum dev-python/pygame dev-python/mmpython dev-python/pythondialog dev-python/pyopengl dev-python/pycairo dev-python/elementtree dev-python/pyxml dev-python/pymad dev-python/pygtk dev-python/pyparted dev-python/pyvorbis dev-python/pykde dev-python/twisted-web dev-python/pyorbit dev-python/eyeD3 dev-python/nevow dev-python/pyopenssl dev-python/pysqlite dev-python/urlgrabber dev-python/twisted dev-python/configobj dev-python/gnome-python dev-python/m2crypto dev-python/python-musicbrainz2 dev-python/cddb-py dev-python/numeric dev-python/imaging dev-python/dbus-python dev-python/Louie media-libs/tunepimp media-libs/libgpod media-libs/mutagen media-libs/pigment media-libs/lcms app-portage/layman app-misc/beagle gnome-extra/deskbar-applet gnome-extra/gnome-games gnome-extra/libgsf app-cdr/serpentine dev-java/antlr dev-java/java-config media-tv/elisa gnome-base/gnome-applets gnome-base/gnome-menus dev-util/subversion dev-util/scons x11-misc/alacarte app-text/mftrace net-fs/samba dev-libs/beecrypt

and run it in a Terminal window as root.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Gobaith » Tue Oct 09, 2007 20:59

thanks for the replies..I was able to get through most of the packages, however..I ran into this error while emerging gnome-python.
* Messages for package dev-python/gnome-python-2.18.2:

* ERROR: dev-python/gnome-python-2.18.2 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *       ebuild.sh, line 1684:  Called dyn_compile
 *       ebuild.sh, line 1020:  Called qa_call 'src_compile'
 *       ebuild.sh, line   44:  Called src_compile
 *       ebuild.sh, line 1364:  Called gnome2_src_compile
 *   gnome2.eclass, line   71:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *      emake || die "compile failure"
 *  The die message:
 *   compile failure

However, since I'm not using gnome..is this package even necessary? I have -gnome set in make.conf, yet I'm constantly seeing packages like this (gnome such and such) being compiled..are they needed?
Gobaith
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Oct 10, 2007 0:23

gnome-python was at rev. 2.18.0 when I went through this process, and it emerged OK. I have no idea whether gnome-python is needed or not, to be honest; my hunch is that it is if one wants to use any GNOME applications (which I do). I'm trying to remember precisely what happened when I went through this process a few weeks ago. I think that a few of the packages in the long list I posted earlier failed to emerge, so I emerged those individually separately, removed them -- and those that had built successfully -- from the list and ran it again, but my memory is hazy and I could be recalling what I had to do to update Python when I was using SL 3.4f (I'm back on SL 3.4 Loop 2b now, as 3.4f and my laptop just don't get along). I have found that sometimes the order one emerges a package affects whether or not it builds successfully. Also, if I recall correctly, I un-installed one or two of the packages that failed to emerge, after checking what they did and finding that I didn't need or want them.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Gobaith » Wed Oct 10, 2007 23:38

Well..I never did get gnome-python to compile properly. However, my beryl settings manager is now up and running. Thanks for the help, Fitz.
Gobaith
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 0:09

:thumleft: Glad to hear that you got it working again.

Regarding gnome-python, you may find that at some future point it will emerge OK after you've emerged some other package(s). I sometimes find this sort of thing happens. Portage can be fickle sometimes!
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers