Internet Explorer 5/6 is not supported. Get Firefox.

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Internet Explorer 5/6 is not supported. Get Firefox.

Postby Cassius » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:46

wolfden wrote:You welcome to your opinion, but do not assume it's hurting any one.

Your title says IE 5/6 is not supported.
As in a finite statement that will make most people(since IE has predominant market share) look elsewhere. You are only hurting yourself since this is a young project.
I've sold OpenBSD based security appliances in the past and clients have been more than happy to use whatever browser they please to access the web GUI.
Pleasing your customer is how you sell your product.

Pushing the visitor around this way is a good way to hurt a new project.

wolfden wrote:There is millions of websites out there and there is plenty of IE only sites, is that fair?

Why not take the higher road here?
You have the opportunity to show you're better than those millions of websites.
That link I posted to the AnyBrowser campaign shows a good example of forward thinking. If you want your clients to think you're above the fold and you produce a unique product (I.E. Not based on petty personal preferences), show that you don't think like millions of other web masters.

wolfden wrote:I'm not going to go on a prissy trip against sites that are IE only. I can choose to avoid the site or use IE, it's not that big of a deal.

Actually you're going on a "prissy trip" as you put it against IE on your own site... Which is much worse.

wolfden wrote:There is nothing wrong with making a statement.

As I said in my second post, there's nothing wrong with the truth.
It's a matter of how you present it.

You ask for promotions(donations) from your visitos, but you call them insane for using Windows and IE?
People judge products on first impressions ONLY.
Yes, it's a harsh fact, but that's also the truth. And that header makes a terrible first impression.
Ask anyone who's been in marketing for more than a day, and they would tell you insulting the visitor is a good way to lose your customer base.

There may be thousands of other Linux Distros.
If this one website matches a million others, then what makes this unique?
Cassius
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:37

Cassius wrote:Actually you're going on a "prissy trip" as you put it against IE on your own site... Which is much worse.

I think you need to re-read this thread, especially yours :lol: It's not my site either. I would never have a pink site, but I can live with it.

You stated your opinion, will the site developer change it, guess time will tell. You can see others do share same feelings. In the meantime everyone can still enjoy using the wonderful distro it is. The popularity of this distro has sky rocketed greatly and it has it's uniqueness just like other sites have.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:45

Moved to suggestions
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:29

copy/paste from my own in earlier thread:

When you browse the SabayonLinux homepage from a windows box with IE7, the following warning comes up: "Internet Explorer 5/6 is not supported. Get Firefox."

But I was on IE7, not on IE5 or IE6

also this is included in the warning: "We won't tell you to use IE 7.0 So get rid of this warning, change. How can you live in a world without tabs?? You're insane."

IE7 also has tabs

Because a lot of windows users have IE7 (even when they have firefox or Opera besides it), this looks very stupid, a 'windows user' sees this and thinks "You call me insane while what you say isn't involvng me ?" as a welcome message when they want to read about Sabayon

so , I would suggest to change that sentence in a more correct way

gr.
Amp
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:03

How about something along the following lines?:

"We encourage the use of Open Source standards and software, and do not actively optimise this site for MS Internet Explorer. If you are using Internet Explorer you might like to give Firefox or one of the other Open Source browsers a try -- we think you'll like what you find!"
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Sep 28, 2007 14:13

I think it's pretty funny. Maybe it wouldn't be so bold if it wasn't at the top of website.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby 9a3eedi » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:46

Am I the only one who thinks whoever put that message on is our hero?

even better: put this html code on every page. It FORCES everyone not to use IE6 XD
http://digg.com/tech_news/CRASH_IE6_wit ... ne_of_code
9a3eedi
Young Hen

Previous

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions