Problem with GMA965.Help me experts!

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Problem with GMA965.Help me experts!

Postby geofromalimos » Sat Sep 29, 2007 13:56

Hello everybody!I'm a dummie on linux!I saw Sabayon and I was really impressed with all these special 3d effects.So I installed Sabayon 3.4 on my new laptop (HP pavillion dv6520ea) but when i select aiglx or glx the system crashes and i have to turn it off with the on/off switch... My graphics card is intel GMA 965!please help!I don't know what to do!
geofromalimos
Baby Hen

Re: Problem with GMA965.Help me experts!

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Sep 29, 2007 22:46

gma965 should use i810 and 915resolution to get it working same as gma950 / 945 likely.

On booting the cd /dvd use up down to select your option and instead of enter press F5 and text appears at the bottom , next add to it before the -- this
Example:
Code: Select all
xdriver=i810 insmod=915resultion res=1440x900

replacing res with actual screen resolution of the screen. Not 100% sure about the insmod=915resolution if this is the correct way to list it. Should work like this or might be able to not add it and only work with i810 as above ??
You might have to play around with this. Also see the 3d desktop part of the forum for help.

Glx + aiglx is still a bit funky depending on the version of sabayon you are using. Intel gma945 / 950 /965 could maybe have this glx fixed ? no idea.

"Cheat codes" as above is in readme file on cd /dvd open with text editor or similar to read it.

The wiki on top of this page might have more info as well as gentoo.org forums / wiki as this is gentoo based so same fix should work here as well.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

The problem exists...

Postby geofromalimos » Tue Oct 02, 2007 22:06

Well...First of all thanks for the reply.But the problem still exists.I've tried this entry by pressing F5 but when the os loads and i move a window the system crashes after 2-3 seconds!I don't know what's going on!Without the entry my card is recognized as intel GMA965 but the system still crashes!Please anyone who has a solution?I am not an expert but many laptops have this card (also known as X3100) and i think that most of them have the same problems...
geofromalimos
Baby Hen

Re: Problem with GMA965.Help me experts!

Postby ibendiben » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:50

I think I'm experiencing the same problem with the intel 965 (notebook so x3100). Whenever I try to something that needs a little more graphical effects (compiz, games), the system freezes. It does so in de life cd environment but doesn't disappear when you install to your harddrive. So far I tried both the mini cd and the dvd version of Sabayon 3.4 (f)
I'm going to do a fresh install over again. This time with all the iso's and cd's verified. Hope that solves the problem, but I think it's got something to do with 3d acceleration.
I'll come back later.
ibendiben
Baby Hen

No changes after installation

Postby geofromalimos » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:36

Well,i've tried live cd and live dvd 3.4e.I've also installed them on my hard drive but the problem still exists.I think the problem is not only to recognize the X3100 (which is recognized by Sabayon without any entries) but we must edit some configuration files...Please if anyone has a solution post it!Thanks...
geofromalimos
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware