Wireless Netgear WG111

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Wireless Netgear WG111

Postby lucknuts » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:48

Hi,

I am running on an AMD 6000+ Athlon Proccessor.
Two Nvidia 8600 GTS OC Video Cards

I have everything running smoothly after partitioning my hard drive.

Now I have networking problems, I've had this problem previously on my laptops, although...then I sold them.

This is my desktop and I have an Netgear WG111 USB Wireless-G Network adapter and I can't figure out how to get it working with saybayon.

Is anyone available to help? I do not have any other availability to access the internet through linux. Only through windows.

So if something is needed to be downloaded I have to use windows at the moment.

Is this possible?

Thank you...

AIM is - theShiFTy1

If you could walk me through or post a tutorial or just say, "Sorry man, won't work"...That would be great.

Most appreciated.

-lucknuts
Yes, I'm new at this.
Will learn. WIll teach.
lucknuts
Growing Hen

Re: Wireless Netgear WG111

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Sep 29, 2007 22:36

You have 2 options using the atheros firmware as likely this should work or the windows driver"*.inf" + ndiswrapper to get it working.

For ndiswrapper and a general guide on wifi see the "Before 3.4e ipw3945 ...." sticky on top of the networking part of the forum. This or the links inside it should be able to get you going. There might even be a guide in the wiki on top of this page ot alternatively try gentoo.org / forums / wiki as this is gentoo based so if it works there it should here as well.

Might want to first find out if it is the atheros chip in the wifi device as mac mini intel has atheros wifi cards and so yours should ahve worked out of the box.

Most of the time with 3.4e / 3.4f / 3.4 mini you can just right click the knetwork thingy next to time top right of the screen and connect to a wifi network as the driver should be loaded already.

Try in terminal s root:
# su
passwd:
# lspci
This should list working hardware or recognized hardware.
# lsusb
should show usb connected devices. 1234:5432 number if any showing could be used to identify the chip it uses.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby lucknuts » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:00

I basically said screw it and moved my network downstairs and directly connected. =]

I have to literally read a book to understand linux.

I finally got Compiz to work with sabayon I think with a gnome installation. Then it froze up everytime I tried to boot into it. =[

Sucked. Now I did a KDE install and I always get the dBus is not loaded error.

Linux pisses me off, and I wish I knew how to work with it. =] Probably take me forever to become a pro, or even understand the language...

But I won't stop learning!!!!

0----thanks for the help!!!
Yes, I'm new at this.
Will learn. WIll teach.
lucknuts
Growing Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:50

ati / nvidia + glx / aiglx = problems .

Fix is in the "3.4f + nvidia + aiglx" post in ? 3d desktop part of the forum. See post from Lxnay should work for you as well.

The direct connection saves a lot of time / issues if any at all. Much easier.
The link above the ibiblio.org logo below is for new users and have some guides that can help as well for new users. Most of the time the wifi is easy but stuff can happen.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby lucknuts » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:57

Have it working, thanks.
Yes, I'm new at this.
Will learn. WIll teach.
lucknuts
Growing Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless