Compiz not working after fresh install [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Compiz not working after fresh install [Solved]

Postby cuervo » Sun Sep 30, 2007 20:28

Hello, Im new to sabayon, was using kubuntu for a while before.
I have a centrino lenovo laptop with an Nvidia Geforce Go 6600.

I just installed sabayon 3.4f from the DVD version and the very first time everything worked perfectly, then I started modding a few details about the kde panel(position, size and adding aplets to it), then it suddenly crashed and when I restarted compiz fusion didnt work anymore.

The compiz fusion icon is loaded but with kwin as the window manager. If I try to change it to compiz the window decorators disapear and I cannot move the windows nor change between them(I read in the compiz fusion troubleshooting thats the basic thing to check for whether compiz fusion is running or not).

I tried running compiz on the terminal by running
compiz --replace
and
compiz --replace kwin

both came out with the same output

~ $ compiz (core) - Error: Another window manager is already running on screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

I checked my xorg.conf file and everything there was fine as far as I could tell,
the composite option was enabled,
the "RenderAccel" option was there
and I added the "AddARGBGLXVisuals" option

whenever I run my nvidia settings it says opengl is running and working fine.
I can play Nexuiz on GLX perfectly fine.

Ive got no idea what else to do.
Last edited by cuervo on Mon Oct 01, 2007 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
cuervo
Baby Hen

Re: Compiz not working after fresh install

Postby cuervo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 18:33

Solved it.
I decided to update and when I tried updating compiz along with some other programs I got an error saying it was a broken package since it needed some gnome and gtk libraries that weren't installed. I emerged gnome and the problem was fixed.

Something I dont quite understand is why would it give me the choice during the installation to not install gnome if its going to leave a bunch of packages broken because of missing libraries? I thought it would install those libraries but skip the gnome desktop environment.

Another wierd thing is how come compiz worked at least the first time? It crashed after the first reboot but the first time it was working fine, I wonder how could that have happened if I didnt have those libraries from the start.
cuervo
Baby Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers