Compiz stops other applications working!

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Compiz stops other applications working!

Postby darkscot » Fri Sep 28, 2007 19:04

Using 64bit 3.4e, everything WAS working OK. Now when I use Compiz I get two compiz icons on the task bar, the main menu doesn't work, Konqueror won't open (either from the icon or the console). None of the icons on the taskbar work.
If I use Metissa or Fluxbox then everything is fine.
Any suggestions?
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Re: Compiz stops other applications working!

Postby darkscot » Fri Sep 28, 2007 20:13

Now I am confused! I tried various things (including wolfden's update compiz) but to no avail. So i decided just to load the standard KDE 3.5 desktop without the 3D effects. However, it loaded WITH the 3D effects AND everything works? :shock:
Oh well, at least it is working.
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Postby lucknuts » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:55

Same thing happened to me, I couldn't find any solution.

So I installed the 32 bit. This is like my 7th time screwing with things.

Now i'm having compiz problems on this...looking for a solution right now as a matter of fact.
Yes, I'm new at this.
Will learn. WIll teach.
lucknuts
Growing Hen

Postby Ace (SWE) » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:01

I'm having this problem too, worked perfectly when i ran 3.4e x86_64. With 3.4f x86 I'm getting the exact same problem, would upgrade to x86_64 again if it wheren't for steam not working in x86_64 (or it could just be me), i'm downloading 3.4f x86_64 right now to see if it's specific to the x86 dist
Ace (SWE)
Baby Hen

Postby darkscot » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:33

The problem has reappeared with me and now happens almost every time boot up.
I am also downloading 3.4f 64 at the moment and will do a complete re-install to see if that fixes it. In the meantime my 'solution' to the problem has been to switch to Gnome dektop. That does not seem (so far) to have a problem.
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Postby lucknuts » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:15

darkscot wrote:The problem has reappeared with me and now happens almost every time boot up.
I am also downloading 3.4f 64 at the moment and will do a complete re-install to see if that fixes it. In the meantime my 'solution' to the problem has been to switch to Gnome dektop. That does not seem (so far) to have a problem.

I simply switched to the 32bit sabayon. I had 64-bit for the longest time although my only problem was flash. COmpiz was also, but I cant tell you if your having the same problems as you would with the 32bit.

Your best bet it to uninstall and reinstall compiz.

Then update python.

Just follow this http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=10809 *and read carefully
Yes, I'm new at this.
Will learn. WIll teach.
lucknuts
Growing Hen

Postby darkscot » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:49

lucknuts wrote:I simply switched to the 32bit sabayon. I had 64-bit for the longest time although my only problem was flash. COmpiz was also, but I cant tell you if your having the same problems as you would with the 32bit.
Your best bet it to uninstall and reinstall compiz.
Then update python.
Just follow this http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=10809 *and read carefully

Thanks for the advice but I have only just finished downloading the 64 bit 3.4f so I am going to do a complete re-install with that and see what happens. I have also found that Gnome is a LOT more stable than KDE, though it does have glitches occasionally (such as not opening the main menu and refusing to shut down).
Actually I am quite surprised how good the latest Gnome is. It is probably two years since I last used Gnome in a serious way and it has come on a lot.
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers