Oblivion / Cedega love

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Oblivion / Cedega love

Postby handy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 15:11

I don't use Wrye Bash, so I can't verify that it will work.

It offers a lot more sophistication than a mod, so there is more of a chance that it may not work.

Please let us know how you go?
Ex Arch user (4.5 years), on the run from the Systemd Virus. Feeling relatively safe here for the time being...
handy
Simple Hen

Postby razor1394 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 19:49

handy wrote:I use over 40 mods, the only additions that people have made for Oblivion that don't work are the few that use .NET.

All the official patches & expansions, also unofficial patches & mods work fine, once you make sure that the case of their install directories are correct.

I wrote a thing for the UESP.net wiki to explain this simple problem.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Obliv ... _%26_Linux

As I've said. Horse armor is an official add on and it doesn't work right. It crashes when riding the horse and It's well explained on the Linux howto on uesp.

As a side note I must say that I'm pretty sick of these Oblivion bugs that are present on both Windows and 360. I hope Bethesda fixes these. Still I've been having a lot of fun with the 360 Game of the year version.

ex:

- Please wait in the hall. The count will be with you shortly. *WAITS FOREVER, NOTHING HAPPENS...*
razor1394
Growing Hen

Postby handy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 23:01

Yes, I agree that there are still bugs in this huge magnificent game, the official & particularly the unofficial patches have dealt with many of these.

I have the horse armor add-on but I have never bothered with it, my character probably runs faster than most of the horses anyway! :-)

The inherent leveling bug is a real pain, I spent approx' a month, mostly leveling my non-custom Battlemage to all but 100% master (Personality is not master). There was an awful lot of repetitive stuff involved in that phase. Though I must admit that the results made the time well spent.

I'm really grateful to Bethesda for making the game & I can live with the bugs. I have got many hours of enjoyment & expect that there will be many, many more to come from the Oblivion game.
Ex Arch user (4.5 years), on the run from the Systemd Virus. Feeling relatively safe here for the time being...
handy
Simple Hen

Postby handy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:28

@ WarraWarra: After researching hardware upgrades so I could run a decent graphics card (again many thanks for your very helpful posts earlier in this thread), I mulled over the situation & eventually decided to buy the best AGP card I could find. My 64bit AMD machine has everything it needs except a great graphics card, (since the 6800GT died many months ago) so I bought an nVidia GeForce 7950 GT with 512 mb DDR3 ram made by XFX. I put it in today, & now I can see much more beauty in the Oblivion world, I will also actually be able to finish the major quest. The game kept crashing with my old card in the very last section of the quest, there is just too much action going on for the 128Mb 6600GT to handle. I tried about 15 times but it would crash every time. :bom:

So, thus far I am very happy with the new graphics card, it is more expensive buying AGP than buying PCI-X, but I saved over a fourteen hundred dollars on what I would have spent on a major upgrade, including an nVidia 8800GTS with 768mb on it.

I'll clean out all the Oblivion gates in the game before I finish the final quest, I'll post a comparison of using this card & the 6600GT, after I finish the major quest. I do actually expect to be able to finish the game now! :-)
handy
Simple Hen

Previous

Return to The Gamers Shed