firefox-bin & Runescape-- 2 memory monsters!

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

firefox-bin & Runescape-- 2 memory monsters!

Postby MeaCulpa » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:09

Don't have luck on Runescape + firefox-bin. The 2 Java monsters chew up too much memory and freeze in 3 mins.

Any means I could extend JVM mem allocation and efficiency for Java web?

I'm on AMD Athlon dCore 4400+, 2G mem. Or does anyone have experiance on Java on 64bit Konqueror/Opera? Since Firefox is a Java monster...

Why there is no web start support on java64. why there is no .delete() in java, :evil:
MeaCulpa
Young Hen

Re: firefox-bin & Runescape-- 2 memory monsters!

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 13:45

Back in May I successfully installed the Sun JRE 6 Update 1 -- which was the latest version available at the time -- outside of Portage (as it was not in Portage at the time) so that I could use the latest Java apps within a browser (Konqueror, not Firefox, as Sun still do not issue a 64-bit Java add-on for 64-bit Firefox) and it worked perfectly with the 64-bit Konqueror. You can see the procedure I used in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7348&p=42399

However, I have re-installed SL several times since then and have not bothered to check what the current situation is as I have not needed to use Java recently. Maybe the latest Sun 64-bit JRE is available in Portage now? If so you could emerge it and try Konqueror instead? It worked well with 64-bit Java.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: firefox-bin & Runescape-- 2 memory monsters!

Postby MeaCulpa » Fri Sep 28, 2007 16:47

Oh I totally missed the point. It is because of RS's anti multi-client setting miss-recognized their Java Map as another RS client so I'm blocked.
MeaCulpa
Young Hen

Return to The Gamers Shed