Internet Explorer 5/6 is not supported. Get Firefox.

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Postby STKD » Sat Sep 22, 2007 20:11

..or directly destroy your Windows PC. We won't tell you to use IE 7.0, even if it works, somehow.
So get rid of this warning, change. How can you live in a world without tabs?? You're insane.

The words "Go fuck yourselves, and fuck Sabayon if you're going to take this stupid attitude" spring to mind whenever I see these things.
Maybe alienation isn't the best tactic for mass adoption.
STKD
Baby Hen

Re: Internet Explorer 5/6 is not supported. Get Firefox.

Postby wolfden » Sat Sep 22, 2007 20:17

:lol:
Guess the truth hurts

* > IE
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 20:41

Ironically, on the Windows PCs I use that have IE6 and IE7 installed I can view this site perfectly.

I also think the message on the Home page could be toned down.

Just because something comes from Microsoft does not automatically mean it is bad. To give a small example, when IE7 came out, Firefox still had Close Tab [X] at the right hand side of the window rather than on each tab. IE7 -- which copied tabbed browsing from Firefox -- has Close Tab on each tab, which I prefer. The next version of Firefox changed to the IE7 method. Both camps borrow good ideas from each other.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby cybernahka » Sat Sep 22, 2007 22:06

My OS is better than your OS: childsplay ... grow the ***up. If linux is about choice, than you should be free to choose NOT to use it, right? just a tought, I do love my linux :wink:
cybernahka
Young Hen

Postby monday90 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 23:00

I have to admit, I found this message to be particularly annoying. Although my personal preference is to use Linux at work I still use Microsoft (not through choice). I do find it particularly annoying. Another point is that if I were to encourage my friends/colleagues to use this very impressive distro I have on my laptop they would browse to your site and receive that message. Its hardly encouraging when you see a message like that.
But there is the flipped side of the coin, not all Linux users want to attract Microsoft users en masse. I know one of the reasons I moved to Linux was because I was tired of the attitudes held by my colleagues towards software and how Microsoft pandered to these attitudes. Windows 98 was the most user friendly OS released at the time and was extremely popular. It came at a price though, to make the "user experience" so "good" the OS lacked any security whatsoever. The users were happy though, until their systems slowed right down, crashed all the time, took 20 mins to boot etc...
I try to encourage my friends to use Linux, I also try and explain why it is a better system. One of the things that really bugs me though is the attitude some of the more veteran users have towards newbies in forums and LUG's. When people come back to you and say "I had trouble getting DivX files to play but just got flamed in the forums" it is very difficult to get them to stay with Linux and not go back to Microsoft.
monday90
Simple Hen

The year is 2007 and we're still stuck in the 90'

Postby Cassius » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:13

As a very smart man once said...
"Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you had very little chance of reading a document written on another computer, another word processor, or another network."
-- Tim Berners-Lee in Technology Review, July 1996

Are we still in the 90's?

When I visit your website, I am greeted with

..or directly destroy your Windows PC. We won't tell you to use IE 7.0, even if it works, somehow.
So get rid of this warning, change. How can you live in a world without tabs?? You're insane.

Is this professional?

So let's have it. The year is 2007 and you have decided to design a website that even the director of the World Wide Web would frown apon.
How can we take your website and your product seriously if you discriminate your users this much?

How about people with disabilities?
I haven't checked this site with a text-only browser and I don't own a screen reader, but will it not display or fall apart in them?

What of users who have customized their Windows machines and Internet Explorer with software that is designed for special needs?
Will you force them to abandon all that just for your site?

Computing and the Internet is for EVERYEONE!
If your product is so wonderful then it should be able to stand on its own two feet.
Show us the benefits of your platform for those users.
Show us comparisons in a concise and and productive manner so we can evaluate the pros and cons (and ALL operating systems have some cons).
Show us that you are competent enough to design a universally accessible website so we can take your operating system seriously.
(Why would anyone promote your OS if even your website is designed with forced obsolescence?)

I'm a web site designer and part-time programmer and I deal with people with special needs all day. It saddens me to no end to see these labels, as they do nothing but create a more divisive online community.
Are you going to promote your product on this faulty premise?
Are you going to abandon this silly "browser war" and make your site universally accessible for all users and operating systems?

What about educators who have bought computers with Windows pre-installed?
Will you impress teachers with these labels so they will replace Windows with Linux?
Not if you call them insane.

Thank you for your time.
Cassius
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:27

Merged topic - search before posting?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Taking things too personally.

Postby Stupot » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:33

Wow.

You know what they say...Humor is not universal.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Cassius » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:41

Our Success, Your Power

We listen to you, because we are like you, simple users with a strong passion. We are always looking for better ways to deliver the latest technologies to your desktop. We are on your side, in this way:
Our decisions are driven by you, our users
Our efforts are to provide you the best out-of-the-box experience
Our strength is your strength

"Our decisions are driven by you, our users". I see no evidence of that in our comment.

wolfden wrote::lol:
Guess the truth hurts

* > IE

That is a very condescending attitude.

Truth is never an issue. Presentation is.
This is the case because we are human beings and we only respond to certain stimuli.
Computers, thereby software, serve US. We do not serve them.

If run into a theater showing a really bad movie and say "hey you *bleep*, you all should get out of here", I doubt many would move.
However, if I encourage politely "this movie has had really bad reviews. You should try another one", I may be able to influence some.

Your attitude will ensure that virtually all serious customers will stay away from your website... And therefore, your product.
Why not impress your potential clients witha a universally accessible website and distribution?

Why not follow your own propaganda?
Cassius
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:55

You welcome to your opinion, but do not assume it's hurting any one. People actually encourage it and history shows others encouraging others not to use IE period. Even Microsoft employees themselves have acknowledged it.

Most people can over look the little things and continue on. There is millions of websites out there and there is plenty of IE only sites, is that fair? I think people have the right to object to this behavior. What comes around goes around theory. I'm forced at work to use IE cause our state department website won't function with any other browser. I think people have the right to voice their opinions against such sites, but I can complain all I want and it won't change.

I'm not going to go on a prissy trip against sites that are IE only. I can choose to avoid the site or use IE, it's not that big of a deal. I can live with it.

There is nothing wrong with making a statement.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions