X-Plane

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

X-Plane

Postby kevmille » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:10

I just installed Sabayon on my Thinkpad T60. I ordered X-Plane before returning to Vietnam. Has anyone successfully installed X-Plane in Sabayon yet?
My Blog: SaigonNezumi.com
My Company: Hakata Group
Twitter: saigonnezumi
Sabayon Linux Thinkpad T60

kevmille
Young Hen

Re: X-Plane

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:56

Have not tried it yet. Try the gento.org forums / wiki , if it works there it can be duplicated here as well with same instructions.

Also check the X-plane forums / wiki / how-to for linux as they might have a easy way to install it if not working out of the box.

Cedega / wine and the windows version should also work well as Oblivion works in them.

Best of luck hope you enjoy your journey.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby kevmille » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:32

No need for Wine and Cedega :) X-Plane gives you the DVDs for Windows, Macs and Linux!!! Nice eh?

My task for this week is to get X-Plane running after I update my ATI drivers :)

Thx for the advice... :D

kevmille
Young Hen

Postby Flymo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:30

Greetings! We have been running X-Plane 8.xx on a SUSE 10 desktop for some years, and have just (Sunday) installed 8.64 under Sabayon 3.4f running on this ACER 5684 WLMi laptop. (T5600 2x 1.83 GHz, 2GB DDR2 RAM, GEforce Go 7600 & 128MB VRAM)

The desktop runs over 30% faster framerate under Linux when compared with Win XP. Saved us buying a new card for v8.xx! :lol: Have yet to benchmark the laptop, but it seems good for a portable - mostly 60~65 fps when I checked.

Only had the (usual to us) rwx permissions to alter after installation and both PlaneMaker & X-Plane are now running fine as far as we can see - oh yes, apart from X-Plane not recognising our key DVD in the optical drive. :?
Installation on the laptop was done using the X-Plane Linux installer and a (fairly) long download to get everything aboard.

How are you getting on now?

Best regards, Ben
Flymo
Baby Hen

Postby kevmille » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:56

So you got it running on Sabayon. That is cool. I still got openSUSE running on my Thinkpad T60 but I am thinking of putting Sabayon right back on after moving my files to my PC-BSD desktop. It is the only distro where my video card worked properly :D

I will try to install X-Plane within the week.

kevmille
Young Hen

Postby Flymo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:03

Good luck, hope it all goes smoothly for you.

The README file in the download was a great help to us, especially with getting it to recognise our Key DVD in the drive. All the little scripts are in the readme if you are needing this. Didn't help that I'd forgotten about that part of the install, and didn't feel the need to read the file since I did do it all once before, didn't I? D'oh! :roll:

Has your T60 got the intel GMA950 graphics chipset? or the ATI? Be interested to hear how it runs. There was a time when intel graphics did not play well with X-Plane, they ran so o o . . s l o o w . . . . but I believe that the 950 is much better in this regard, iirc.

We get a lot of mileage out of X-Plane, and it is running some 20% faster than under Win XP on this laptop, near as I can figure by flying. That can really help the precision of the flight calculations. There is(was?) also a neat X-Plane feature that benchmarks the video card - it is accessed via a command line switch, but I cannot recall it and my notes are on the other side of the planet right now. <sigh> At least it's nice and warm here.

Sabayon is most impressive to date, most things just work, and mostly work really well. Our thanks to the hard-working Sabayon team.
(Zabaglione (as I know it) is my very favourite dessert...)

All the best, Ben
Flymo
Baby Hen

Postby kevmille » Wed Jan 23, 2008 14:59

I decided to reinstall Gentoo on my Thinkpad T60. Need to get X-Plane running in there instead. When Sabayon 3.5 becomes stable, I will install it on another partition.

kevmille
Young Hen

Postby kevmille » Thu Jan 24, 2008 16:38

I take it all back. Sabayon 3-4f is now running on my Thinkpad T60. I am now downioading X-Plane Beta-19 unto my laptop. I will tell you how it goes...

kevmille
Young Hen

Postby Flymo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 0:52

Excellent news, and well done, mate!

*Off Topic*
We just bought an Acer 4315 with Ubuntu pre-installed and have been having a blast with it,
only AU$491 after rebate, but it goes well, running out of RAM (512MB total!) on occasion but
usually recovering cleanly. Runs the GL-117 sim and various 3D games OK. On a Celeron!
*On Topic again*
Loaded X-Plane - just to see what happens - and it won't fly, although Plane-Maker is fine,
does the 3D twirls so the OpenGL is OK - probably just not enough RAM, may get a 1 GB stick
to see if that solves it - will certainly help with everything else.

How's it turning out on the T60?

All the best, Ben
Flymo
Baby Hen

Postby kevmille » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:30

I finally got Gentoo working on my Thinkpad with OpenGL working with my ATI card. My Thinkpad is primarily my business computer so first priority is to get the FOSS packages I am offering to clients installed and working.

Acer, huh? Acer is not popular here in Vietnam, too many problems.

I am aching to get back to flightsimming again. It has been nearly 4 years since I last did a flight with Flight Simulator. Had the cds for X-Plane for 5 months now.

kevmille
Young Hen

Return to The Gamers Shed