Need a little help [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Need a little help [Solved]

Postby absolofdoom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 22:52

I am thinking of buying an HP M8120N desktop. I've been looking on the gentoo and sabayon wikis, but I cannot find anything about the compatibility of it. It looks really nice, but if the hardware doesn't work with sabayon, it isn't worth dirt to me. If anyone knows a place I could look to see if it's compatible, I'd be grateful.

And google wasn't my friend... :|
Last edited by absolofdoom on Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:39, edited 1 time in total.
Somebody once said: "If you've got it you've got it, if you don't you don't." That statement was terribly flawed.
absolofdoom
Simple Hen

Re: Need a little help

Postby wolfden » Sat Sep 22, 2007 23:07

Did you look at this?
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... ayon_Linux

I don't see why that computer wouldn't be just fine
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby absolofdoom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 23:18

I am an idiot. :D I should have been more specific...
What I meant was that I needed to know if the driver crazed stuff worked:
the nvidia card
the wireless card
the tv tuner
the card reader
the hard drives (they're huge and there's two of em)
and here's a link to some info about it, in case there's somebody who already knows what's compatible and what's not: http://compreviews.about.com/od/maindesk/gr/HPPavilm8120n.htm

in the meantime, I'm gonna keep searching

and thanks! :D
Somebody once said: "If you've got it you've got it, if you don't you don't." That statement was terribly flawed.
absolofdoom
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Sep 22, 2007 23:23

Intel HDA Audio <-- pain but see the howto for that
I don't see the wireless brand listed, the one that causes the most headaches is broadcomm
Nvidia is fine
no idea about the tv tuner as it isn't listed either
rest is fine
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby absolofdoom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 23:30

Thanks man. :) I really wish the OEM's would tell you what they put in there. It's really hard to find out. I would build my own dang computer, but I'm only 14, and I have about as much knowledge of building computers as I have knowledge of how to build a tv: none whatsoever.
I guess I'll just get it and see if it works. If the wireless card doesn't work, I'll just use a USB one, and if the tv tuner doesn't work, I'll live. My monitor is my tv anyway.
thanks again
absolofdoom
Simple Hen

Postby monday90 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 23:36

From what I can gather it has an Intel wireless chipset so that should work ok. TV card I have no idea on but probably not. The same with the built in modem. Graphics are Nvidia so no problem there. The built in card reader might work but you will probably need to get a driver for it (I have a USB floppy drive with built in card reader that works fine, the one on my laptop has never worked). Other than that it should run pretty fast.
monday90
Simple Hen

Postby absolofdoom » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:37

How'd you find what the chipset was? :?: Well, if its Intel, it'll work, you're definitely right about that.
Well, now all I gotta do is get my dad to buy it for me. Wish me luck! :D
absolofdoom
Simple Hen

Return to Hardware