wireless problem

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: wireless problem

Postby eponalank » Fri Sep 21, 2007 21:24

:( ok
I dont understand though why i can't install wireless even if i use 3.4f ... since the sticky is before 3.4e ..

i looked in my drivers list on windows and there are four files: b44win (security catalog), b44win (setup information), b44win.pnf (precompiled setup information) and bcm4sbxp (system file) ... i dont know which one to choose

further more ... i will have a hard time getting this driver on my linux partition ... since i am having problems mounting my partitions XD .. and even flash drives etc. so i have to solve that before even trying this way to fix.

thanks anyway

i have a question though ... on gentoo wiki there is also the old procedure to install ipw3945

but it notes that:
since version ipw3945-1.1.3-r1 ipw3945 uses inkernel ieee80211 drivers so this procedeure is no longer valid.

but ... isn't my problem that i use an ieee80211 that is not valid? that's why in the wiki in sabayon it tells me to erase it? ... i dont know .. just wondering

Francesco :) ( :( ? )
eponalank
Young Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Sep 21, 2007 22:23

I right click 3.4e and 3.4f knetworkmanager in both live dvd and installed + wpa2 + automatic + password = connected on ipw3945.

Before 3.4e = anyone that has used or is using any version of sabayon could get their wifi working with this. But in the versions before 3.4e there was a few bugs and has been fixed and for the time being until the updates is downloaded or something the before 3.4e general guide should work for version prior / before 3.4e.

IPW3945 works fine in both 3.4e and 3.4f no need to install extra drivers or software it it just works. Just right click knetworkmanager and connect. Like I do.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby eponalank » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:24

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!! (**falling off chair**)

omg! I'm such a stupid idiot! hahaha ... i spent a week trying to configure wireless while all i needed to do was right click a minuscule icon on the upper right corner of the desktop... just great! .... making things more complicated than they actually are ... :oops: please forgive me XDDDDDDDDD

:mrgreen:
eponalank
Young Hen

Postby mbmalone » Sat Sep 22, 2007 13:10

If you turn encryption on, can you still connect to the signal? :?:

eponalank wrote:HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!! (**falling off chair**)

omg! I'm such a stupid idiot! hahaha ... i spent a week trying to configure wireless while all i needed to do was right click a minuscule icon on the upper right corner of the desktop... just great! .... making things more complicated than they actually are ... :oops: please forgive me XDDDDDDDDD

:mrgreen:
Michael
mbmalone
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Sep 22, 2007 19:41

Encryption being wpa2 or wpa2 or wep = yes.

I run mine on wpa2 + tkip"automatic" + password and it connects every time.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 20:03

eponalank wrote:when booting in verbose mode it said that ipw3945 failed ...

I see an error message regarding ipw3945 early in the boot process if using ALT-F1 -- I'm not on my SL laptop at the moment, so cannot tell you what it says -- but later on in the boot process a message saying that the ipw3945 module has been inserted successfully using a different method is displayed (words to that effect, anyway). Are you sure you don't get this too later on in the boot process?

Anyway, like WarraWarra, I'm using SL and KNetworkManager with encryption. My home network is configured to use WPA Personal, WPA1 and TKIP, and KNetworkManager on SL works perfectly.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to Networking and Wireless