Dell 19in LCD Monitor Power Saver Issue Help

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Dell 19in LCD Monitor Power Saver Issue Help

Postby boe_dye » Sat Sep 15, 2007 23:51

I have a dell 19 in lcd monitor and for some reason whenever I leave it alone for a spell (i am not really sure how long because sometimes i'll walk away and then come back later, and i don't really time my potty breaks...) my screen will go into power saver mode. Now I know its in power saver mode cause instead of the green light, it has the orange light, and whenever i move the mouse or touch a key it comes back on.

The issue is that according to all my settings under the "power control settings" of the configure kdesktop box of the display settings, everything is disabled.

This issue has been ever present since I started using this OS.

When i first found the display settings the "enable power management box" was UNchecked...

it was still going into sleep mode (or standby, forgive my 20+ years of MS speak)

Then I enabled power management mode, and took all the sliders to the disabled position...

Still the same thing. The display goes into standby.

I really dig the Open GL screensavers, and know that they are running cause i catch a glimpse of them when i move something, but sadly cannot enjoy them cause the stupid screen goes black.

Any suggestions on this matter in plain stupid speak are greatly appreciated!
boe_dye
Baby Hen

Re: DELL 19IN LCD MONIToR POWER SAVER ISSUE HELP!

Postby boe_dye » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:55

Thanks for the speedy reply! Well, i tried what you suggested, and well, don't know if it will work... I suppose i will have to let it sit for a bit...

few question regarding what I just did.

One, what is "xset"?

two, if in the event that this does work, will it continue to work, or will I have to keep doing it every single time i log on.

three, why was this different then using the GUI interface that I had previously tried before?

I am new to using konsole, and while I understand that it is very similiar to terminal (osx) I have no experience in terminal. My first thought was that it was DOS, but I think that my thinking is wrong on that particular note.

Thanks again for the quick reply, I will drop a line as soon as I know it works :thumright:
boe_dye
Baby Hen

Postby boe_dye » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:08

Okay, It works!!!!

Yeah!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Now all that is needed are the answers to the other questions i had!

Thanks again!!!
boe_dye
Baby Hen

Postby boe_dye » Mon Sep 17, 2007 21:52

okay...

it sort of works...

every time i reset my machine, it goes back to the power save settings. Is there anyway to make this fix permanent?
boe_dye
Baby Hen

Re: Dell 19in LCD Monitor Power Saver Issue Help

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:06

Use acrontab or, alternatively, create a Desktop Config File to run it, and put it in your Autostart directory.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby boe_dye » Tue Sep 18, 2007 19:47

and the reply that will make everyone hate me...

how do i do that? :D

(let's stick with the autostart config file method)
boe_dye
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 22:33

Google is an essential tool: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Autostart_Programs

Very similar to Windows: you create a shortcut and put it in your startup folder.

Right-click on your Desktop, select Create New > Link to Application... and you should be able to work it out from there (it's easy). You'll end up creating a file called <whatever name you entered in the box on the General tab>.desktop and this file is called a Desktop Config File (think of it as a Windows shortcut).

Then copy or move it (via GUI or via command line, as is your wont) into the directory /home/<your username>/.kde3.5/Autostart
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby boe_dye » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:19

allrighty, I will give that a shot.

Thanks for the help thus far, i will update to let you know my progress.

You are right, of course, that google is an essential tool in this matter. The only real problem in this case that i have run into is that there are so many forums and how to's that seem to be specific to one thing.

So i found myself hanging to this forum as I figured that the most expertise would come from those that actually use this distro. I found a general linux forum that i found some stuff on. But i never thought to look towards a kernal specific wiki/forum (gentoo/debian).

So i will look at that and get back to you!

thanks again
boe_dye
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:55

Sabayon Linux is Gentoo with an overlay. So you can refer to all the Gentoo resources too.

See also: viewtopic.php?t=1730
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Hardware