Oblivion / Cedega love

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Oblivion / Cedega love

Postby handy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:25

Thanks WarraWarra, great post, you sure didn't miss much! :-)

I have a couple of AGP machines, an old clunker & a 939 64bit, I also have plenty of bits & pieces, some spare good fast (raptor) drives, cases etc. I am a retired self employed computer tech', who is 2 years off the pace regarding the technology, that's why I posted, looking for confirmation of what does & doesn't work with Sabayon, I'm sure you understand...

I'm in the situation where I must upgrade motherboard, cpu & ram to move to a superior graphics card. So I'll put together a machine made out of those new bits & what I've got kicking around the office. If I decide to go for an 8800gtx, (have nVidia sorted the Linux drivers yet for the 80 series gpu's?) I'll swap out the 550 watt psu from my current main machine, I'll also rob 2 of it's drives, (the raptors) & it's only running an nv 6600gt/128 since the 6800gt died, so a standard AOpen psu will be fine for it.

I haven't built a machine for ages, it will almost be fun again! ;-)

[Edit:] Are there any nForce 590 SLI Intel boards released yet?
Ex Arch user (4.5 years), on the run from the Systemd Virus. Feeling relatively safe here for the time being...
handy
Simple Hen

Postby csendesmark » Thu Sep 13, 2007 19:32

$309 - XFX 8800gts 320mb "hd4"

With 8800GTS320 you won't get high framerate @ higher resolutions, or with AA & AF
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 3000MHz | Gigabyte P965-DS3 | 2x1GB DDR2-1066 Kingmax | Point of View 8800GTS-640
CM Realpower 550W SLI | SP2504C 250GB | WD4000KS 400GB | WD5000KS 500GB | Dell E228WFP 22" Wide
*Latest Sabayon* :)
csendesmark
Simple Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:38

Here is a good link I found $500 gaming pc's both amd and intel tested here .
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/10/ ... 7_edition/

590's should be replaced by I think the 600's not sure. Can not find 590's for sale.

Think Wolfden and several others has the 8xxx nvidia cards on the SL boxes. I have seen 2 persons with 8800's not sure what model though and if one 8XXX series works all should work. SLI might still be a bit tricky. Also not sure how some brands / makes handle the linux nvidia driver. It used to be a problem but could be fixed.

I see mostly the trent in new pc parts is to get a cheap E2160 and overclock it to 3.2ghz with normal cooling and same with the amd64's , same as above in the link.

XFX post yup I saw that but better than current and budget limited.
The 7950gtx in my laptop works nice as well just replaced the 7800gtx with the 7950gtx and wow best laptop video cards I can get jus tneed to sell my 7800gtx now.

LOL I can not find my Oblivion copy to try in wine / cedega. :(

Nice parts you have laying around should be fun.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby handy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:58

Thanks for your reply WarraWarra.

I had a look at Tom's Hardware recently, it has changed a LOT, since I used to frequent that site regularly. I think I liked it better before, it has become a lot more commercial than it was.

I don't think nVidia have actually released the 590 for intel yet. Some people got an unfinished beta board last year for testing, the reviews are excellent, & that was beta! When it is released it will probably be called nForce 5.

It looks like the nVidia drivers for the G80 chips work, but not as easily as future versions will, at least for Ubuntu, according to their forum.

It's great that notebooks are getting great graphics cards too! :-)

Bummer that you can't find your Oblivion disk, it really runs well under Cedega, & apparently Wine too.

I have a small pile of redundant cards & other bits & pieces, psu's etc, still hanging around, & some drives. When I used to service windows machines I had a lot of Ghost images which I'd use to restore a trashed system, or to set up a new one. It saved the customer's money, & my sanity a little... ?

I had a corporate XPpro disk, so I could set people up without having to worry about the activation pain in the RRRs.

Boy I'm glad I'm not having to look at windows anymore, for myself OR anyone else. :-D

[Edit:] I just checked out the Tom's Hardware Guide link you provided, it was a good read, thanks.
Ex Arch user (4.5 years), on the run from the Systemd Virus. Feeling relatively safe here for the time being...
handy
Simple Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Sep 17, 2007 22:51

Found both intel 775 and Am2 socket that has 590 chips.
Am2:
http://www.asus.com/products2.aspx?l1=3&l2=101
Intel 775:
http://www.asus.com/products2.aspx?l1=3&l2=11

Possibly looks like the amd cpu mboards has been neglected with new motherboard nvidia chips. Think the amd + ati north / south bridge combo could work nicely , not sure.

Not sure but I think someone has had a few bumps in the road with a nvidia card + nvidia chipset here in SL or had difficulty with the drivers not sure. Will see if I can find the post.

Yup any website that gives good info works , helps to compare with reviews to get a good idea about parts. http://www.xbitlabs.com/ is also good.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby handy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:23

Apparently the nVidia 590 intel, would not overclock well, & there was only ever one commercial board made by Foxconn, who worked very closely with nVidia developing the original 590.

So, the 600 series is what superseded it & is available now.

That said, I think I will change flags & use a core2quad Q6600, & overclock it on a GA-P35-DS3R motherboard. The motherboard is not top of the line, but it will perform just as well, I don't need the extras. I'll stick 2 gig of DDR2 ram in & lash out on an 8800-GTX graphics card. I will not need SLI either, with a card like that I should be set running Linux for about 5 years, with any luck.

I'm not a game user who jumps about from game to game, I find one that I like & play it until I get bored, which can take a couple of years, (Guild Wars) then find another (Oblivion) & do it again. Guild Wars 2, will probably be the next one after Oblivion becomes boring.

Regarding Tom's Hardware site, after reading the link that you posted, I investigated other hardware & changed my initial impression. Tom's Hardware is still a great site for researching on hardware, & has improved in the last 2 years that I have not been using it. The commercial element has grown, but it doesn't seem to interfere with their honesty of review, which is great.

So thanks to you WarraWarra, I have re-included Tom's site in my Bookmarks. :-)
handy
Simple Hen

Postby ScottishDuckHunter » Sat Sep 22, 2007 17:50

Gamespot : Make It Pretty pack. END THREAD
ScottishDuckHunter
Simple Hen

Postby MeaCulpa » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:41

The point is, Oblivion is a game with a lot of customization.

To run original Oblivion is a thing, to get OBSE, OBMM, Wyre Bash working flawlessly is another thing. Mods! I still don't think tis 100% playable under linux.
MeaCulpa
Young Hen

Postby handy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:23

I use over 40 mods, the only additions that people have made for Oblivion that don't work are the few that use .NET.

All the official patches & expansions, also unofficial patches & mods work fine, once you make sure that the case of their install directories are correct.

I wrote a thing for the UESP.net wiki to explain this simple problem.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Obliv ... _%26_Linux
handy
Simple Hen

Postby MeaCulpa » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:53

handy wrote:I use over 40 mods, the only additions that people have made for Oblivion that don't work are the few that use .NET.

All the official patches & expansions, also unofficial patches & mods work fine, once you make sure that the case of their install directories are correct.

I wrote a thing for the UESP.net wiki to explain this simple problem.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Obliv ... _%26_Linux

Cool this encouraged me! I'll have another try then :P My Oblivion directory is > 11G.
And have you ever tried wyre bash? I use it alot. Since its wxpython scripts It should workd on Linux?
MeaCulpa
Young Hen

PreviousNext

Return to The Gamers Shed