emerge blocks after 3.4f x86-64 install and other problems

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

emerge blocks after 3.4f x86-64 install and other problems

Postby eris23 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:55

I've just made a new install of 3.4f x86-64. I've dealt with some of these before, but is there a master list of the recommended way of dealing with each? If not, can someone make one now?

[blocks B ] x11-drivers/ati-drivers (is blocking x11-base/xorg-server-1.4-r2)
[blocks B ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers (is blocking x11-base/xorg-server-1.4-r2)
[blocks B ] <net-print/hplip-1.7.4a-r1 (is blocking net-print/cups-1.2.12)
[blocks B ] x11-misc/xkbdata (is blocking x11-misc/xkeyboard-config-0.9)
[blocks B ] >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.13_pre (is blocking sys-process/schedutils-1.5.0)
[blocks B ] net-libs/libgssglue (is blocking app-crypt/libgssapi-0.11)
[blocks B ] <dev-libs/boost-1.34.0 (is blocking dev-util/boost-build-1.34.1)
[blocks B ] sys-apps/setarch (is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.13-r1)
[blocks B ] x11-misc/xkeyboard-config (is blocking x11-misc/xkbdata-1.0.1)
[blocks B ] <sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0_rc (is blocking sys-apps/makedev-3.23.1)
[blocks B ] sys-process/schedutils (is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.13-r1)
[blocks B ] app-crypt/libgssapi (is blocking net-libs/libgssglue-0.1)

In general is it safer when using dispatch-conf to use new, or zap new? Sometimes I can figure it out, sometimes not.

And with that pam update, is it just the two files in the directory that need to be moved, or does a file need to be edited as well (I could quite follow the gentoo doc).

Working with Sabayon, from 3.26 on, I've created quite a few non-running systems. X not running (or only running with twm). Not being able to log into consoles (login refused). Vast numbers of python problems (usually around avahi). One occasion in which simultaneously most kde and gnome programs crashed on launch. I've tried Wolfden's unofficial world update, without success. I've tried emerge system then emerge world. I've tried several Gentoo scripts for world updates. I've tried trying to avoid anything that previously caused a problem. Sooner or later something goes wrong. Before giving up on Sabayon and moving back to Debian (which I've used for 15 years) I'd like to give this one more chance.
eris23
Simple Hen

Re: emerge blocks after 3.4f x86-64 install and other problems

Postby wolfden » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:45

The problem with this is people don't understand what they are doing or why they are doing it.

First lets take a look at SL. It's already bleeding edge running ~arch, which means you are already a head of the game. My recommendation to anyone new to this is to just use the Operating System and get to know and understand it. Are you customizing the config files before a recompile or a world update designed to your hardware? If not your going to run into way more problems and totally defeating the purpose of doing it. By just using the operating system and updating packages here and there you will master portage.

Second, it's impossible to write guides on how to do this and that with updates. People don't know what USE flags you are using, what software you need, what hardware you have or how you use your software. Those all play important roles when dealing with portage. The first thing I ask myself when I run into a block is, do I need or use that?? If not I get rid of it, but what I get rid of will not work for you as you may need it, see where this is going??? If I need it I know I can use the config files to work around the issue. Are you familiar with package masking, unmasking, use and keywords?? If not, better get to know them. Learning how to update config files is just as important also. Zap or over-write the wrong one and there ya sit at a black screen.

Third, if you searched around a bit, you would of found many of them addressed right here in this forum. Running gentoo based distro definitely means you are not alone, so if you run into a problem, more than likely the rest of the community has also. Effective searching will find your solutions and of course there will be more than one solution given at times, use the one that works best for your situation. You will need to use the gentoo.org forums for a solution and the gentoo.org bugzilla. Some updates will have problems till a fix is produced by the gentoo devs, that is the price of running bleeding edge.

If you drop down to the stable branch you will escape a lot of these issues. The business edition or doing a core install and going with the stable branch and building your system maybe a better solution. Don't sit there and start threatening Debian when you don't fully understand how to get around with portage. You're not going to learn this distro in 1 week, 2 months or even 6 months. Once you learn the tools you will be able to create any thing. The gentoo handbook and documentation can't be stressed enough. The documentation is huge and readily available. It just takes reading and comprehending it.

I can tell by what you have pasted that you haven't touched your config files. You're building drivers and software for hardware you don't even have. Why would one do that? Why would someone with nvidia video card build ati-drivers and vice versa? The power of this distro is in the config files, can't say that enough. Get to know them, get to know USE flags and CFlags - trust me, it will make your portage experiences much easier as you will be causing less conflicts. Sabayon may look like a newb distro, till you pop the hood. There are so many people miss using this distro it's unbelievable. With all the documentation out there, there is no excuse to not know. 2/3rds of the problems on this forum can be solved by knowing the system. It will take time to know it and it's an ongoing learning process as gentoo changes. I get a kick out of people that complain it takes so long to install a package because they didn't bother to look at some background information of the distro. I see a new distro, I head over to the site and read the documentation, look thru their forums and even hang out in their irc chat room first, that way I know what I am about to get myself into.

I'm not trying to make this sound harsh or anything, just stating the obvious and the truth. Knowledge will get you more places than one can imagine. If you have the patience and time you will find out how great this distro really is. It's not going to happen in a month's time tho. This distro is it's own caliber at it's own level.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Lomion » Wed Sep 12, 2007 15:27

Hi!

As Wolfden said, Sabayon is a great distro but you must know what you're doing and more and more important, always check out forum and bugzilla.
Usually one half of problems are already resolved ;)

You should have noticed a post in wich is reccommended to mask Xorg-server-1.4 'cause it's not already compatibile with ati and Nvidia drivers.

I had exactly same blocks you have, try mask xorg-server-1.4* in your package.mask and also xorg-x11-7.3 . This should fix some blocks.
Anyway, unless it's safe for developers to include all drivers for all video cards, I suppose you don't have Nvidia anda Ati cards installed, so why don't remove drivers you don't need as Wolfden said?

Also, I've resolved some blocks simply unmerging blockers and updating. After upgrade, I've reinstalled packages I remove (I don't remember if it was Hplip or not... Anyway I have nothing produced by HP so I don't need them).
Some blocks are generated by Baselayout which is masked by gentoo devs. So you decide, you can mantain old Baselayout ad unmerge makedev, or unmask new baselayout (this will create some problem with new blocks I suppose, but I've not upgraded baselayout yet).

I cannot help you with other blocks because I have not experienced similar blocks until now... But documentation is huge, and still if you don't want to read 12 pages of html, you can search forum ;)

Ah, last thing. Pam update is safe if you follow gentoo guide, you must remove the two files and then control all files in pam.d are not using the old pam_conosole if I'm not wrong :D anyway, personally I had only to remove two files :D Just follow gentoo guide, you'll be able to upgrade :wink:
PROUD SABAYON LINUX USER
Lomion
Simple Hen

Postby thepld » Wed Sep 12, 2007 21:21

Wolfden, I understand your sentiment, but I'm having the exact same problems as the OP on a fresh install of x86-64, and have religiously been searching documentation for a fix. I've done countless searches regarding those exact same problems, on here, on gentoo's forums, and with google, and have found precious little aside from posts just like this and replies as "If you know portage, you should be able to fix it."(And a rare howto on fixing one of those issues killed xdm)

I know I sound like a jerk here, but I'm just incredibly frustrated that stuff has spontaneously decided not to work and that most general attempts at troubleshooting result in a hosed system.
thepld
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Sep 12, 2007 22:09

you can't be searching too hard as most of them have been address right here on this forum even
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Wed Sep 12, 2007 22:20

wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby thepld » Thu Sep 13, 2007 0:05

Wolfden, I've found all of those posts in previous searches, and none addressed any problems I was having.
thepld
Young Hen

Postby eris23 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:05

Okay Wolfden, I'll answer your points one by one.

Yes, I've tried leaving make.conf as originally found, and optimized for my Turion64. I've had problems both ways. (CFLAGS="-march=k8 -msse3 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" -- listed at Gentoo as safe).
Yes, I've tried modifying USE flags both per program in the package.use file, and globally in the make.conf. (e.g. gtk, qt3, qemu,etc)
Yes, I haven't stripped out all the unneeded drivers because I'm trying to create a meta-distro optimized for audio/video editing based on Sabayon.
Yes, on a daily basis I edit package.mask, package.unmask, package.use files.
Yes, I search both this forum, gentoo's forums, the various bugzillas, and use google to find other relevant bug fixes.
Yes, I've tried FEATURES="-sandbox" emerge epiphany
Yes, I know these some of these are what one can expect by running bleeding edge (on Debian I tracked incoming, couldn't get a shell at console once, reinstalled to get online, found out that a bash/libreadline update had wiped out the symbolic link to "sh" -- I couldn't figure that one out, I thought it was a library problem)

My feeling is that, as shipped, Sabayon should have USE flags set to be able to build all the included packages.
For instance, libvirt is included, but needs qemu or xen USE flag. The default is neither.
Several packages need the opengl, qt3, qt4 flags set, but it's not a default.

Then there's the issue of blocking packages.
Why can't the Sabayon overlay or something else start with the a package.mask to avoid them. Then a user would at least be able to install security updates.

Another thing.
I tried the smart option to upgrade from 3.4e to 3.4f (with no replace). It hung on virtualbox-bin. I just know it was waiting for the "Yes/No" input, but there was no place to enter it.

Yes, some of these are issues general to Gentoo, but if Sabayon is to become a better distro it should deal with them.

I alternate between emerge, portato, kuroo, equo; dispatch-conf, etc-update, etc. Each has strengths. What's needed is one tool to rule them all.
eris23
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:21

thepld wrote:Wolfden, I've found all of those posts in previous searches, and none addressed any problems I was having.

If it is the stuff posted in this thread than those threads will solve your problems
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:32

eris23 wrote:Okay Wolfden, I'll answer your points one by one.

Yes, I've tried leaving make.conf as originally found, and optimized for my Turion64. I've had problems both ways. (CFLAGS="-march=k8 -msse3 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" -- listed at Gentoo as safe).
Yes, I've tried modifying USE flags both per program in the package.use file, and globally in the make.conf. (e.g. gtk, qt3, qemu,etc)
Yes, I haven't stripped out all the unneeded drivers because I'm trying to create a meta-distro optimized for audio/video editing based on Sabayon.
Yes, on a daily basis I edit package.mask, package.unmask, package.use files.
Yes, I search both this forum, gentoo's forums, the various bugzillas, and use google to find other relevant bug fixes.
Yes, I've tried FEATURES="-sandbox" emerge epiphany
Yes, I know these some of these are what one can expect by running bleeding edge (on Debian I tracked incoming, couldn't get a shell at console once, reinstalled to get online, found out that a bash/libreadline update had wiped out the symbolic link to "sh" -- I couldn't figure that one out, I thought it was a library problem)

My feeling is that, as shipped, Sabayon should have USE flags set to be able to build all the included packages.
For instance, libvirt is included, but needs qemu or xen USE flag. The default is neither.
Several packages need the opengl, qt3, qt4 flags set, but it's not a default.

Then there's the issue of blocking packages.
Why can't the Sabayon overlay or something else start with the a package.mask to avoid them. Then a user would at least be able to install security updates.

Another thing.
I tried the smart option to upgrade from 3.4e to 3.4f (with no replace). It hung on virtualbox-bin. I just know it was waiting for the "Yes/No" input, but there was no place to enter it.

Yes, some of these are issues general to Gentoo, but if Sabayon is to become a better distro it should deal with them.

I alternate between emerge, portato, kuroo, equo; dispatch-conf, etc-update, etc. Each has strengths. What's needed is one tool to rule them all.

The Missing use flags are being addressed.

You will have less problems if you configure the config files, right now using the default make.conf is just crazy.

Portage is forever changing, what u mask today maybe needed tomorrow. SL has a package freeze so when it is released, it's packages are a month or so behind portage.

Alternating is fine, that is the power of this, having all the different tools. Find the ones that work for you.

It just takes time to get to know it
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers