Suggestions for future versions of Sabayon

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Suggestions for future versions of Sabayon

Postby lxnay » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:23

Most of the things will be worked out with time. Just be a little bit more patient ;)
Language support will become modular, like the packages selection and other cool things.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Tue Sep 11, 2007 23:00

A few more suggestions came to mind today: Update GIMP to the latest and include the GIMP Animation Package.
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby Raqua » Wed Sep 12, 2007 15:15

Everytime a new version of Sabayon is out, it seems to me to be up to date as much as possible, so I think that there is no need to write "Update this or that to latest version.. ". This is a bleeding edge distro and it is being updated all the time.
Raqua
Growing Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Wed Sep 12, 2007 20:04

Raqua wrote:Everytime a new version of Sabayon is out, it seems to me to be up to date as much as possible, so I think that there is no need to write "Update this or that to latest version.. ". This is a bleeding edge distro and it is being updated all the time.

Yeah, you're right.
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby swdw » Mon Sep 17, 2007 18:36

I agree that there are too many packages of the same type- do we really need THAT many torrent clients, photo managers, or mp3 players?
These are using room for other thhings that would reatly help the wide usability of sabayon.

I think you should do a survey to pick the top 2 in each category and include those programs. This gives an initial choice for the user w/o overloading them.

This would leave room for things that should be in the release. For example. Digital video is becoming very popular, but the release does not include dvgrab, Kino, or Konverter. People not used to Linux may not know these exist.

You could then include some of the VST plugins for audacity and have ardour and rosegarden both. This would be popular with college students working on Multimedia. Including kino, dvgrab and a converter to wmv would work great for the youtube addicts out there.

later, I need to go back through and look at what's installed, but some (not all) of the redundant programs need to be killed.

This means you can worry less about conflicting upgrades for the same type program, and cnocentrate on making sure the others are installed correctly.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents
swdw
Baby Hen

Postby Ashtefere » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:15

When entropy is complete, I would like to see a "naked sabayon" or something.
Have it concentrate PURELY on hardware support. As many drivers as you can cram onto that dvd.
Then, run entropy at first boot and allow the user to install things in a wizard. E.g.
What mp3 player would you like to use?
What text editor would you like to use?
What video player would you like to use?
etc, so the noobs wont get scared.

Also, give the option to install xfce with compiz at install, as well as gnome and kde. Those old clangers are getting a little slugish in their old age.
Something I would LOVE to see is to have the most common registry values in wine already set, and have the mimetypes for .exe already assigned.
Would really help all the noobs i have been trying to get onto this distro.
-Ash
Ashtefere
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Sep 20, 2007 16:09

augh, some don't want the binary stuff tho

You can just do the core install now and build on that
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby xt600 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 13:56

Yes, Please fix or update to the new PAM and Python 2.5! Do it for us newbies who are learning to do system updates. Maybe you already fixed it with the 3.4 mini? I have not done a full system update yet with this one.

The PAM upgrade maunual from Gentoo seems to be written in some archaic dead language! I can speak two languages and understand four but could not figure out what they were saying. LOL

BTW, Sabayon has been the best distro since Ubuntu in my opinion! It is on my hard drive to stay and if it takes me a whole year, I am going to learn it. A big thanks to Lxnay and others who have made this distro great!
xt600
Simple Hen

Postby xt600 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 14:12

Another small suggestion: When I am am downloading a bin file like "openoffice-bin" with emerge I can not tell what percentage it is at! It does not even show a spinning | I can not tell if it is at 20% or 95% done. It is a small thing but if it is stuck at 10% after two hours that tells me that the connection is bad and I could ctrl+c and do something else unti the connection gets better.

From a newbies view! :mrgreen:
xt600
Simple Hen

Postby Priapus » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:30

I can only think of three things about Sabayon that should be improved.
1. Bios (dmraid) Raid installation support, some people who use raid need to dual boot.
2. Reiser4, we have ext4, so why not Reiser4? Namsys says that it is stable.
3. Definitely needs to be more update world friendly.
Priapus
Baby Hen

Previous

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions