Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 3.4 Revision F: Stable Release

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases

Re: Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 3.4 Revision F: Stable Release

Postby lxnay » Sun Sep 09, 2007 18:59

We're working/developing/testing/playing with Entropy. So, we ship new releases ready to be b0rked testing equo (entropy client) and, in the meantime, we add some fixes/improvements. What's wrong with that? It's still 3.4, not 3.5, 3.6, 3.7...
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby SethBv » Sun Sep 09, 2007 20:32

well, i really like this linux, and i hope you will fix this freezing problem, it works well on the livedvd, but after i install it, the freezing starts to apear, btw, i saw something with "try update-modules force" or something like that at boot time after i install it, i did that too and still the same problem
SethBv
Young Hen

Postby ScottAS » Sun Sep 09, 2007 21:34

All

The reason as to why many Desktop PCs and Laptop PCs become unresponsive is because of the fact that the NVIDIA Corp. device driver for NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Processing Units contained within Sabayon GNU/Linux 3.4E and Sabayon GNU/Linux 3.4F contains major problems and therefore it is the root cause of the unresponsive state many Computers enter. It is not the fault of Fabio Erculiani that the device drivers included within the latest version of the Operating System are causing problems for many people, including myself, however as far as I am aware, NVIDIA Corp. are to release a new device driver to address multiple problems in relation to their products this coming week therefore many problems may be resolved in due course.

It is NVIDIA Corp.'s responsibility to resolved problems within their product; however I hope it be considered that within further versions of the Sabayon GNU/Linux that a replacement of NVIDIA Corp.'s Closed Source device driver with a Open Source device being developed at this current time be implemented; I for one am disappointed that NVIDIA Corp. have not released an updated device driver for 80 days regardless of the fact that the Corporation is aware of the major problems its device driver is causing.

Scott
ScottAS
Young Hen

Postby SethBv » Sun Sep 09, 2007 22:26

i did a drivier downgrade too, and same thing..
SethBv
Young Hen

Postby hecia13 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 22:27

Well, in case of version 3.4f there is also a problem with ATI, I guess... The kicker freezes in both livedvd and after install if desktop acceleration is enabled. No chance for operational Compiz-Fusion :(
hecia13
Young Hen

Postby lxnay » Sun Sep 09, 2007 22:31

Bug Compiz Fusion developers then ;)
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby hecia13 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 23:43

It is possible... Especially that apart from that everything works perfectly. Then I guess we need to wait for a stable version of Compiz-Fusion ;P
hecia13
Young Hen

Postby billydv » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:44

If you are having freezing problems using compiz-fusion, I can tell you its no different on the regular gentoo either or for that matter with debian or ubuntu, its the animations plugin that causes the majority of the problems, and its real important to clean up your xorg.conf, no multiple mouse entries that can confuse x or invalid module or font paths. The majority of the freezes for me have always occurred when the machine would go to screensaver and sit idle a couple of hours. I have a workaround for desktop computers which works, you can find it at
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98079
billydv
Baby Hen

Postby dyingmuppet » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:47

@billydv is that a new way to commerce? ;) saying you have to install electricsheep to fix NVIDIA issues??
looks a little weird to me ;)
but I also had some freezes on 3.4e on my desktop not my laptop although Nvidia-settings told me I have a Geforce Go 6100 with 512mb memory but I can set my memory in the BIOS max to 128mb :roll: ...
my tip is to check you xorg.conf very good before you get in to your new installed system, so what I would do is to mount your new installed system on the live cd/dvd and edit the xorg.conf and maybe grub.conf first.
I do that this way:
[code]
# mkdir /media/system
# mount /dev/sda1 /media/system //replace sda1 to your '/' partition
# gedit /media/system/etc/X11/xorg.conf
[/code]
now I activate DRI support, set the refresh rates of my monitor and hide extra mouse core events in the section "server layout" of xorg.conf
[code]Section "ServerLayout"
# The Identifier line must be present

Identifier "Main Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen 1"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
>> #InputDevice "Mouse2" "SendCoreEvents"
#InputDevice "Synaptics1" "SendCoreEvents"
#InputDevice "wacom1" "SendCoreEvents"
#InputDevice "wacom2" "SendCoreEvents"
#InputDevice "wacom3" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection[/code]
after that I set timeout in /boot/grub/grub.conf to 1 or 0 seconds because I don't need to switch or wait.

after that I'm done for so far, I always make it to the desktop without probs..

grtzz DM
dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

Postby dyingmuppet » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:51

Help!!! where can I edit my post and why did [code] not work?? [/code]
dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Press Releases