Hard Masked media-libs/gstreamer-0.8.x [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Hard Masked media-libs/gstreamer-0.8.x [Solved]

Postby DontPanic » Sun Sep 02, 2007 19:51

It looks like media-libs/gstreamer-0.8.x (as well as all the 0.8.x gst-plugins) has recently been switched to hard masked in gentoo's portage. media-libs/gstreamer 0.10.x and associated plugins are still OK.

I couldn't find any info when I searched gentoo's forums, but this often happens prior to removal from the portage tree.

Does anybody know if that is what is happening with these packages?

Sabayon has a package (media-plugins/libvisual-plugins-0.4.0-r2) that has a specific dependency on the 0.8.* version. Amarok has a dependency on libvisual-plugins. This package (libvisual-plugins) seems to be the only package that still has a dependency on the 0.8.* version. Everything else uses the 0.10.* version or above. Oddly, the version of libvisual-plugins in gentoo's portage tree does not have a depency on gstreamer at all.

As an experiment, I unmerged all the 0.8.* gstreamer and gst-plugin packages (leaving the 0.10.* packages alone), then edited the ebuild for Sabayon's libvisual-plugins, and modified the gstreamer dependency to accept any version of gstreamer. It re-built OK, and Amarok still seems to work fine.
Last edited by DontPanic on Sun Sep 09, 2007 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Re: Hard Masked media-libs/gstreamer-0.8.x

Postby Belial » Sun Sep 02, 2007 22:13

According to the masking reason, it has been abandoned upstream and has many outstanding bugs,

see gentoo bug 190800
Belial
Young Hen

Postby DontPanic » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:19

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Following up on my previous experiment with eliminating gstreamer-0.8.x, while libvisual-plugins builds, and amarok works, I am getting the following exception during the merge of libvisual-plugins (during the configue step):

Code: Select all
checking for GSTREAMER... no
./configure: line 23405: $as_me:$LINENO: WARNING: *** GStreamer >= ${0.8} is not found.
                The libvisual GStreamer viewer plugin won't be build.
                GStreamer can be downloaded from http://www.gstreamer.org/: bad substitution

I have media-libs/gstreamer-0.10.14 installed, but the configure script is not finding it.

So, while Amarok works, it is causing a problem. I'm not sure what else uses libvisual-plugins, or what it might be disabling in Amarok. There is nothing else in my depends.
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby DontPanic » Sun Sep 09, 2007 20:52

I've opened up a Bug Report on this issue, since the media-libs/gstreamer-0.8.x is scheduled for removal from the gentoo portage tree shortly.

http://bugs.sabayonlinux.org/show_bug.cgi?id=301

I've come up with two possible fixes, but I'm groping in the dark alittle since I'm not sure what features are enabled by libvisual-plugins.

I supplied more discussion in the bug report, but basically, both of these fixes appeared to work for me:
1) Drop back to Gentoos version of libvisual-plugins which builds without gstreamer.
2) Modify Sabayons libvisual-plugins to build against gstreamer-0.10.
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Re: Hard Masked media-libs/gstreamer-0.8.x [Solved]

Postby DontPanic » Sun Sep 09, 2007 22:40

Per lxnay, this issue has been resolved.

Already fixed upstream, -r2 removed from our overlay.

For those of us maintaining our Sabayon-Linux using world updates, this may mean that you can remove gstreamer-0.8 and all the 0.8 plugins (if you're in the mood to tidy things up). This package was the only dependency that I ran across for the 0.8 version.

I removed the gstreamer-0.8 package and all the 0.8.x plugins from my system (leaving gstreamer-0.10 and all it's plugins alone), and haven't run into any dependency issues or other issues that I can tell.

Gentoo will be removing these packages from the portage tree soon anyways.
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers