Live CD-Compiz works in KDE but not in Gnome

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Live CD-Compiz works in KDE but not in Gnome

Postby designer17 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 13:52

I am new to Sabayon and and I must say its one of the best live cds i've ever used. The only problem is I am a "Gnome" guy and would like to install gnome on my laptop but I really want to be able to use compiz. Compiz works perfectly off the live cd in kde but doesn't work at all in Gnome. Why is this? I have tried it in two different machines with same results. Anyone have any ideas?
designer17
Baby Hen

Re: Live CD-Compiz works in KDE but not in Gnome

Postby FrozenFox » Fri Sep 07, 2007 19:41

I'm assuming you mean compiz fusion, and you're on the newest version. Does the fusion icon come up? what does it say in the console when you try to run fusion-icon?
FrozenFox
Simple Hen

Postby designer17 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 20:01

Yes, I'm refering to compiz fusion. I am using the newest version 3.4e. In kde the icon shows up on the desktop and in the task bar but in Gnome it only shows up on the desktop, not the task bar. I can configure it in gnome but no matter what I change nothing happens. Maybe its not set up to load on startup and I have to manually load it, not sure. I am unsure how to load it up manually, there doesn't appear to be anything I can click on to load it.
designer17
Baby Hen

Postby FrozenFox » Sat Sep 08, 2007 22:14

Hm. In the terminal, try running fusion-icon and post back what it says if the icon doesn't show up in the tray.

You should be able to force compiz to start with (I think this was it, anyway)

compiz-start &

and you may need to manually start emerald if your borders/window decorations dont show up via

- emerald --replace&

Please post back with what happens regarding fusion-icon and compiz-start in the terminal, specifically if it gives any errors.

If what you want works, add the given command(s) that worked to startup by going into the gnome "Session" program. You can find said program under one of the start menu sections I think "settings", "preferences", "administration", or something of the sort. If you can't such a section or the Session program (i think in sab's gnome setup you can go to "view more programs" or something and find it under there somewhere), you may need to right click the taskbar and add the applet for the default gnome start menu thingo. It's about 3/4 of the way down, i think with blue footstep icons or something. You would need to go to the area there that shows your startup programs and add whichever command(s) made fusion work for you above or otherwise.
FrozenFox
Simple Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers