Suggestions for future versions of Sabayon

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Suggestions for future versions of Sabayon

Postby dukdukgoos » Wed Sep 05, 2007 20:52

First off I want to say that I'm really enjoying my experience with Sabayon and Gentoo. Fits right in with my tweaker mentality. :)

I have a couple of suggestions that I like to throw out for the next version. Maybe others can chime in if they agree or think I'm off base.

I really appreciate the latest round of changes that made Sab more configurable at install time. I'd like to continue to see further development along these lines. For example:

• Minimal KDE/Gnome installation. It'd be great if we had minimal versions of the major desktops, so we could build up KDE/Gnome from a light base rather than stripping down. For KDE I'd like to see a "kdebase-startkde" type option.
  • More detailed package selection in the installer. The meta packages in the installer are a little too large for my tastes. A good example would be packages that install video/audio codecs but not all the players, so you can pick the individual player you want. Another would be a package to install Firefox and plugins, but leave other internet apps to be individually installed.
  • Less unnecessary hardware support. I'd like to see the installer be smart enough install only what's necessary to support my hardware. For example, if I'm running a desktop computer, I don't need any of the laptop-oriented packages, battery monitors, touchpad, bluetooth, etc. Another example: the installer already detects that I have an nvidia card and sets it up correctly, couldn't it use this information to avoid installing all the other X video drivers?
  • Less unnecessary language support. Have an option in the installer to choose what languages you want installed, then don't install dictionaries, man files, etc that are unneeded.
  • More world update friendly. Clean up the make.conf USE flags, world file, and package.* files of repeats, unnecessary entries, and general cruft.
I can summarize all these as: allow a "less is more" installation approach while retaining the quick setup time and out-of-the-box functionality that differentiates Sab from vanilla Gentoo. This would relieve many users of post install cleanup and configuration and make Sabayon even more fantastic than it already is.

Thanks for listening!
dukdukgoos
Young Hen

Re: Suggestions for future versions of Sabayon

Postby darkscot » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:59

If people want a 'light' version of SL then there is the mini edition. Alternatively you can install the minimal configuration and add to it.
Personally I like the fact that the standard SL is 'bloated'. In fact I think it should have couple of more packages included as standard (i.e. EasyTag and Pan).
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Postby Raqua » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:21

I agree with dukdukgoos. I use mini version and I still need to get rid of a lot of stuff that I do not need.
Raqua
Growing Hen

Postby koch » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:37

a more detailed package selecktion in the installer would be great for a lot of people. on one hand it is great that SL has a lot of stuff, on the other most people don't need all this stuff (as said above desktop vs. laptop. i use a desktop machine and don't need a lot of packages too).
if i had the choice i would prefer this way because it is easier and faster than installing SL core and install the needed packages later. especially for people like me who are into gentoo for not so long.

as a beginner sometimes you don't know which packages you need (i don't mean the things like firefox, i think of stuff like python for example).

"it's all about choice"...the installer could be too...
WINDOWS: Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, melt - upgrade it, charge it, pawn it, zoom it, press it, snap it, write it, get it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, drag and drop it - stop. format it.
koch
Growing Hen

Postby Thrice » Sun Sep 09, 2007 20:04

Eh. Package selection is probably more trouble than it's worth. It's not like you can't install or uninstall.
Thrice
Growing Hen

Postby Stupot » Sun Sep 09, 2007 21:20

Once Entropy is done, I would very much like to see a lot of extra packages taken out, since it wouldn't take long to install them on your own anyway. And I do think that customizing installs between laptops and desktops seems like a good idea.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby csendesmark » Sun Sep 09, 2007 21:45

I dont agree with the following two tings
Less unnecessary hardware support.
_ Image

Less unnecessary language support.
-Why problem if the Sabayon has big language support?
It use big space? ... maybe 50MB?
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 3000MHz | Gigabyte P965-DS3 | 2x1GB DDR2-1066 Kingmax | Point of View 8800GTS-640
CM Realpower 550W SLI | SP2504C 250GB | WD4000KS 400GB | WD5000KS 500GB | Dell E228WFP 22" Wide
*Latest Sabayon* :)
csendesmark
Simple Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Sun Sep 09, 2007 22:04

Here's a few of my suggestions (a few are repeats from past suggestion posts):

1. Change the Amarok icon back to the wolf icon. The current one looks like a blue KMix icon

2. Reiser4 support (for those who like to test experimental filesystems)

3. Add a volume control app to the startup (e.g. KMix)

4. Update Compiz-Fusion to the latest and include all available plugins

5. Include wavpack codec

6. Fix the missing USE flags

7. Allow individual package selection on install

8. Include option to create folders in user home directory (e.g. Pictures, Music, etc.) This is not terribly important, but maybe somewhere down the line it could be added?

9. Include eix

10. Update WINE to the latest

11. (In response to the "unnecessary hardware" complaints) - Sabayon is designed to work on almost any hardware you can throw at it, which is why so many drivers come with it. So, a solution might be to have an installer option to only install drivers for the detected hardware. Other drivers could later be added from the install disc later if needed. Or maybe also have a package selection menu that allows you to pick extra drivers you might need.

12. Update all programs to their latest stable versions (or unstable, depending on the program) and all plugins (e.g. gstreamer) to the latest as well

13. The "Anonymous Internet Browsing" feature on the LiveDVD doesn't really give you anonymity. It's just a bit more secure. Perhaps either removing it or at least renaming it could be an idea.

14. Many reviews I've seen say Sauerbraten is slow, especially on the LiveDVD. It's also right in the main LiveDVD menu, so maybe a more 'light-weight' game could be listed instead? Nexuiz is often recommended.

15. Since 3.4F and the LiveDVD boot-up speed increase, there isn't as much time to enjoy the nice music (unless you let the Acceleration Manager screen stay up for awhile.) Perhaps the music could start a bit sooner?
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby dukdukgoos » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:27

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating less hardware and language support. Sabayon's extensive hardware support is probably its best feature. I'm saying that after the hardware detection is done, packages should be installed for the detected hardware only. If I have an nvidia video card, I don't need ATI or Intel drivers installed.

The reason why this is important is doing world updates. All the extra packages installed that aren't relevant to my system get updated with world updates, wasting a lot of compiling time. The upshot is that users who do world updates have to use the core install, or strip a lot of stuff from the default install, in order to have a world update friendly system.
dukdukgoos
Young Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:56

We actually need a clean up script that tests for actual hardware and then edit's the /etc/make.conf with user input and then apply new settings + then cleans out the non needed hardware drivers and other non essential parts.

I have tried to block gnome even with -gnome the monster still tries to install and succeeds short of blacklisting it if that is possible.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions