This is going to be the longest thread ever! OK, little further along the update trail. This makes me feel stupid. I have been using Linux for forever and this takes the cake on getting to know your system. Here is the new dilemma:
* Cannot find $EPATCH_SOURCE! Value for $EPATCH_SOURCE is:
* ( gnome-session-2.17.90-no-asserts.patch )
* ERROR: gnome-base/gnome-session-2.18.3 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 1654: Called dyn_unpack
* ebuild.sh, line 768: Called qa_call 'src_unpack'
* ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_unpack
* gnome-session-2.18.3.ebuild, line 52: Called epatch '/usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-session/files/gnome-session-2.17.90-no-asserts.patch'
* eutils.eclass, line 161: Called die
I have tried just downloading the file by emerge -f gnome-session, which didn't work. Tried deleting the gnome-session directory and emerge --sync. I am almost bald now. Any help please???
SOLVED this portion
Just needed to do layman -S to pull in some overlay.