TitleBar MIA... (noob) [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

TitleBar MIA... (noob) [Solved]

Postby flawedlegacy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:32

Ya, I'm a Linux noob, so act like your explaining it to an idiot... :roll:

Finally getting all my 3d/Cube effects as I like them and suddenly my screen blanks then comes back with all of my settings reset as far as Compiz goes, fire disabled, cube disabled, etc... also my Title Bar is gone! I have corrected the other issues that were defaulted, but what happened on the title bar missing?!? I HATE having to use the bottom toolbar to move, minimize or close everything....

Again, explain this to a moron....

but I must say I am sooo glad I switched from Windows!!!! This is so much cooler!!

Any help is appreciated!!

(also, how do I get different desktops on the different sides of the cube? I see the option to customize each side of the cube, and I have each of the 4 sides set differently, but all appear the same....)

sorry for bein a noob and asking such stupid ?'s

(and yes, i did search, but couldnt find a fix to anyone else asking this issue, or I didnt understand the lingo used)
flawedlegacy
Baby Hen

Re: TitleBar MIA... (noob)

Postby flawedlegacy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:08

some help please....
flawedlegacy
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Wed Sep 05, 2007 14:39

FWIW, you're not alone. Figuring out how to get Compiz to behave is tough. When it works, it's kinda cool, but I haven't had a good experience with it's stability.

As far as the titlebar, I've run across two ways that work. One that always works is to right click on the compiz-fusion icon, go to select window manager, and select kwin. Unfortunately, this disables most of the keen stuff that you have compiz for in the first place.

A second way that works intermittently is to set 'select window manager' to compiz, and set 'select window decorator' to emerald. I was able to use this method just now to restore my title bar (which has also been MIA for a few days). But Compiz is like a box of chocolates, I'm not sure what I'll get next time I restart my session.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby flawedlegacy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 15:31

ok, and where are these settings? I ran a search and cannot find either.... explain this to a moron....

thanks for ur help
flawedlegacy
Baby Hen

Postby flawedlegacy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 15:48

Also, my Compiz Fusion icon doesn't open... looks like it's loading, but after that it just disappears....
flawedlegacy
Baby Hen

Postby flawedlegacy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 15:49

never mind, I was looking for an application, I didnt know it would open in the top toolbar
flawedlegacy
Baby Hen

Postby flawedlegacy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 15:50

... and on that note IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry for the tripple post)
flawedlegacy
Baby Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers