Unattended emerge, how to? [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Unattended emerge, how to? [Solved]

Postby MeaCulpa » Tue Sep 04, 2007 0:54

During my emerge -e system I have always encounter waiting for lock on /var/tmp/portage/XXX/XXX.lockfile, And sometimes I have waited a whole day for a single package... 3 days now and I still haven't go much further on emerge. I have to abort/resume emerge to proceed. But I want it to FINISH while I'm out, I can't stick beside my PC forever..

Today I'm stuck at bzip2...
Any means I can really do Unattended emerge? Or did I missed something important? Do I have to fetch only my whole system first?:cry: :cry:
Last edited by MeaCulpa on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:15, edited 1 time in total.
MeaCulpa
Young Hen

Re: Unattended emerge, how to?

Postby Element » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:31

Do you have an ongoing emerge? If you don't then chances are the file is stuck and you can usually remove it by doing rm -f <file here> and that will remove it. But if you have an ongoing emerge and you forgot about it then chances are that is there for good purpose.
Element
Growing Hen

Re: Unattended emerge, how to?

Postby MeaCulpa » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:14

I have an emerge, I have stated the issue though, some of the archive I DLed is broken, cleaned them and resumed and just fine
MeaCulpa
Young Hen

Re: Unattended emerge, how to? [Solved]

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Sep 04, 2007 21:00

Basically you might need to :
emerge --sync
emerge portage
layman -S ( if this is buggy then layman -d sabayon and layman -a sabayon check actual command layman --help )

Then 1 active emerge :
emerge -e system
or que them
emerge --sync ; emerge portage ; layman -S ; emerge -e system
This should complete or fail one and move to next . There is a fewother ways as well see update guide from wolfden.
As mentioned above if 1 emerge is running the 2nd emerge in another terminal would show that locked part.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers