Connecting to the internet using GPRS in the phone.

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Connecting to the internet using GPRS in the phone.

Postby pmd » Fri Aug 31, 2007 16:17

I was wondering if there was any way that an internet connection could be established through the GPRS in a mobile phone using the means of bluetooth? Now in windows there is a way to connect to the internet through the mobile network by connecting the phone and the computer together, I want to know if the same thing can be done in Sabayon Business Edition 1.0?
pmd
Baby Hen

Re: Connecting to the internet using GPRS in the phone.

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Aug 31, 2007 22:35

Likely as the bluettoh should show next to time and then maybe use KPPP for a dail out type connection not sure. Check the wiki on top here or gentoo.org forums / wiki if you get stuck. Someone asked a while ago about 3G connections might be similar , use search top right of the page.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: Connecting to the internet using GPRS in the phone.

Postby pajamabama » Fri Sep 28, 2007 15:53

I've done it. And it was about 2 years ago, so it was working even back then. Unfortunately it was about 2 years ago, and on a different system, so I don't really remember all the steps. I do remember that it was not that hard, and there are instructions on the web. You have to use hcitool to find the MAC address of the phone, and rfcomm for initializing the connection. More specific than that I forget. A quick google search for "gprs bluetooth linux" should get you going.

It's cool, I was listening to streaming internet radio in my car.

I hope this helps. Don't give up. It does work!!
HP dv6000t
SabayonLinux 5.5 - x86_64

www.pedorro.com
pajamabama
Growing Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless