Dark "white on black" themes with Compiz and KDE [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Dark "white on black" themes with Compiz and KDE [Solved]

Postby LukeR » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:12

(SOLVED) See my reply at bottom

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to configure Compiz/Emerald themes to work with dark, white on black KDE desktop settings. All my windows are white text on black background, except for components which are evidently not controlled by KDE, such as

• the SuSE-style kicker (buttons on the bottom row show up as white on very light gray, rendering them unreadable eyesores)
  • yellow info balloons when hovering over "Close," "Minimize" etc buttons on windows (white on yellow, totally unreadable)
  • the Emerald Theme Manager itself renders black text on black background, making it impossible to change settings without reverting to a black-on-white KDE theme and restarting X

These are the main ones that are annoying me. I realize that this may be more of a Compiz Fusion related question, but that project seems to be in a bit of an unorganized state ATM (ie, I don't know where I'd post my question/concerns if I actually wanted it answered).

Does anyone know of a workaround? A hidden option in Emerald's settings? Something? Thanks!
Last edited by LukeR on Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:44, edited 1 time in total.
LukeR
Baby Hen

Re: Dark "white on black" themes with Compiz/Emerald and KDE

Postby LukeR » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:38

Bump.

I've tried the "HighContrastDark" theme and while it solves some problems, it looks old and ugly as hell. What I'd really like is a version of "Polyester" that is more highly configurable. Is there a way to hack the config file manually, instead of through the GUI?
LukeR
Baby Hen

SOLVED

Postby LukeR » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:43

Figured this one out. It was a conflict with applications that use GTK decoration/image sets, such as Compiz Settings Manager.

If you uncheck the "Apply colors to non-KDE applications" box at the bottom of Colors in Control Center-->Appearance and Themes, this is fixed. Now it looks great!
LukeR
Baby Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers