Conflicts with emerge on fresh install

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Conflicts with emerge on fresh install

Postby Cohan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 19:16

Just made a fresh 3.4e install with fluxbox and unchecked everything else. (So that I later can add only the programs I want and have the correct USE-flags) Updated the USE-flags according to other posts on the forum and tried to run
Code: Select all
emerge --update --newuse world

but that results in conflicts. Adding --pretend gives
[blocks B     ] sys-apps/setarch (is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.13)
[blocks B     ] <sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0_rc (is blocking sys-apps/makedev-3.23.1)
[blocks B     ] sys-process/schedutils (is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.13)

How can I resolve this?
Cohan
Baby Hen

Re: Conflicts with emerge on fresh install

Postby wolfden » Thu Aug 30, 2007 23:53

try searching?
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=9300&start=30&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

are you familiar with portage even?

see what blocking what, decide if you need to keep or not, use the package.mask, package.unmask, etc files
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby pajamabama » Sun Sep 16, 2007 20:11

I had the same problem regarding util-linux & setarch. Looking around on the google a bit what I think I've discovered is that util-linux now obsoletes setarch. in fact, running equery depends setarch returns only one package:

Oberon ~ # equery depends setarch
[ Searching for packages depending on setarch... ]
net-www/nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.4 (sys-apps/setarch)
Oberon ~ #

but after removing setarch and then remerging nspluginwrapper, it doesn't try to install setarch. so I'm not sure I trust that eqeury.

So it looks like you can get away with just getting rid of setarch and moving on.

ps.

wolfden wrote:are you familiar with portage even?

wolfden, your advice and expertise are appreciated, but I would ask if you could find a way of answering questions from people, who are trying to understand what is an undeniably complex system, in a more polite way. In my opinion, the process of becoming "familiar with portage" includes asking such questions. And as you've stated elsewhere in the forum, SL does look like a noob system until you pop the hood. So it is to be expected that people will not know how everything works without asking. This isn't the first posting in which I've read, and even personally received, a curt and even irritated-sounding response from you.

No flames here, just a thought :)
HP dv6000t
SabayonLinux 5.5 - x86_64

www.pedorro.com
pajamabama
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:47

It was a simple question, especially when someone it talking about doing a world update.

Knowing and understanding portage is important for that task. Many don't even read up on portage first and that is why I ask cause one is going to get pointed to the handbook first to read. If they have read up on it first, than of course questions are gonna still be there, but people need to take the first initiative to learn portage. One needs to know what level of portage they know.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers