Bioshock

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

Bioshock

Postby ScottishDuckHunter » Wed Aug 22, 2007 22:13

This is the best game i have ever played, and i've only used the 10min demo.

Can someone who is running steam on their desktop download the demo and report back? :) I'll have a try but i have v.poor graphics combo'd with Q6600 and 2GB RAM so i will need to wait for new graphics. Early reviews already put this as the best game of all time, lets hope it doesn''t dissapoint.
ScottishDuckHunter
Simple Hen

Re: Bioshock

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Aug 23, 2007 0:09

The screenshots of it looks nice , I am not sure I want to buy it yet. Will download the demo and try it. Have to check the screenshots again for Bioshock must have missed something.
I mostly play Wolfenstein ET / Fear / Graw / C&C all version / mahjong to keep my brain from slowing down. LOL. Graw 2 = american army free game in disguise = not impressed with it , rather use bugs galore graw 1.
Your q6600 and a *800 ati or nvidia card should run extremely well be it 6800 , 7800 , 8800. The us$309.00 xfx 8800gts should last you at least 2+ years games wise minm. and will likely outperform the current game standards = limited by new laptops / apple laptops + games = ati 2600 or nvidia 8600m.

I love this 7800gtx laptop video card I have it might be a 3 year old model but still rocks like mad with graw at 1440x900 and everything maxed = 75C to 90C temp occasionally but keeps it nice and avg at 60fps , even more if I use external monitor and switch the lcd laptop screen off , can also use med powermizer setting for 65C avg temp.
Supposedly graw 2 works on less serious hardware + it is cleaner code and lots of bug fixes but I do not like it as I am not a military man.

Comparison chart:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
The real performance can only be seen at max resolution for Oblivion , outside scene on this linked page but you can play it in cedega / wine weard.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby ScottishDuckHunter » Thu Aug 23, 2007 18:07

I'm personally waiting for NVIDIA 9 series cards later this year. For the mean time im planning on getting 2x 7600 for SLi ;)

In terms of bioshock, it is now recognised as the best FPS ever (by Metascore - THE REVIEW SOURCE), the best PC game ever and the 3rd best game ever. The demo makes me easily believe that... i neeeed this game in my life :)
ScottishDuckHunter
Simple Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Aug 23, 2007 21:46

Darn I tried but the .zip was busted so have to download it again.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:03

Spoiled brat here games wise or the demo put me of this game. Makes me think of the american indian game from last year nice and then ?? Is there a demo patch out I could not find ?

Tried it last night using the australian torrent link download. The graphics is nice as well as the concept not sure about the actual game play as it seems to hit a few slowdowns especially getting to the top of the stairs as some new weard chick is about to attack , might just be the demo version I had = buggy not sure. The killing / action needs to be tuned up a bit, more a sense of danger when they attack. I was considering playing with the big daddy's protector type thing just to have something happen.

I like the Dark Messaih might and magic type magic / fire you throw at the enemy. Zap and clock the ??? out of the electricuted weard attacker. Looks like they tried to mix FEAR / Dark Messaih might and magic with that books about the detective girl story for kids, I like the movement a bit more fuild / faster and this is like a walk in the park or that is how it feels for me.

It is a great game it just needs a better demo or a faster way of getting into the actual game as heck I hate musicals / movies in games and this started and I was foaming at the mouth and there is no way to skip past this movies. Come on guy's get to the bloody game would you LOL if I want to watch musicall I would torture myself with opera or something like that. What is up with this cluedo or mistery type thing is this scooby and the gang cartoon ?? likely the actual game play part once you get past training is nicer as this is frustrating / annoying. FEAR almost had me wet my pants the first play thru LOL it was intense / sick / weard / intense.

Fear made me want to upgrade all my pc hardware just to be able to play it better and so I did.

I would have liked to see some graphics options ie: resolution / aa /af etc etc the normal stuff, mine had none and just barely brightness adjust as a last add one after thought.

I think it might be too relaxed for me after FEAR / GRAW +OGN weapons mod / dark messaih might and magic / command and conquer latest or likely the demo was defective not sure. I would like to try it again after they added the first patch as this should fix a few bugs.

Graphics = 10/10
Constant darkness you can not see most of the good parts = nasty 1/10 all their nice details waisted on overly dark spaces like quake 4 dark but at least something happens in Q4.
Playability = 6/10 needs fixes for slowdowns and the hardware I have is 5 times the minm x1400 / 9400 in disguise they claimed it would work on.
Idea concept 10/10
Weapons / attack = 12/10 good mix of types , the revolver shooting does not make a impact on you as you shoot needs more realism like half life 2 not just thud it is a 38 special or 45 S+W
Interaction with object 8/10 needs a bit more realism when it comes to normal whacking a wall and the damage breaking a few bottles is nice but after FEAR and the ice pick / spike shooting gun and a few guy getting nailed to the wall , twitching as they die on the spike , this can be fixed / improved here to at least FEAR standards.

Either way I saw steam has it for us$49.?? so likely it would run in linux on steam for linux without and cedega / wine / emulation ??

Overall not bad 9/10 just need to keep me from watching boring tv / looking for a reson to chat with the inlaw's here and play the actual game more then I would buy it.
Graw bugs / boring sometimes and all , but 2 hours later cramps in my hands just finished 1 online map base 1 and no idea there was a tv or anyone talked to me or what they said even the dog bit me no idea about it. This game needs to do the same for me then they can have my money.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Sat Sep 01, 2007 18:00

I just got Bioshock a few days ago. Haven't played it much as I've been busy playing with Sabayon. It is a fun game and it sorta gives me the creeps (kinda like Doom 3 and F.E.A.R. do) but it is different, that's for sure.
I might just stop playing games until I get a better computer (my Dell Dimension 4550 is maxed out on upgrades, so the only option left is to get a new computer). I would love to see what DirectX 10 looks like, but I really HATE the idea of using Vista. But if it's just for games, I'll dual- or triple-boot my next comp.
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby ScottishDuckHunter » Fri Sep 07, 2007 18:18

FYI: The CD protection stops the game working on wine.

Completed the game, a true masterpiece. Ran like a dream with my new graphics.

Another FYI, Bioshock's DX10 mode is the same as DX9 because... wait for it... The games engine uses DX10 as default... ON XP. Very funny indeed.

A little off topic but, i have to say wine 0.9.44 is truly deserving of the 1.0 release. It really runs almost anything well now.
ScottishDuckHunter
Simple Hen

Postby ARTIMUS_MK9 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 22:14

just finished the demo like 2 days ago and I gotta say, even though my computer is like 5 years old and it lagged on me so bad I could go get some ice cream between frames, it was a pretty good game. I liked most that the guy on the radio is the only one not trying to kill you, my only question is, what happened to the city?
ARTIMUS_MK9
Young Hen

Postby csendesmark » Sat Sep 15, 2007 22:35

I played out this game yesterday!
This is the G.O.T.Y '07 :) (until now)

But I'm waiting for CRYSIS (the only challege in this year on the GOTY competition)

BioShock is a good game, because the story is awesome, the graphis is also good (Unreal 3.0 engine)
the sounds are horroristic ;)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 3000MHz | Gigabyte P965-DS3 | 2x1GB DDR2-1066 Kingmax | Point of View 8800GTS-640
CM Realpower 550W SLI | SP2504C 250GB | WD4000KS 400GB | WD5000KS 500GB | Dell E228WFP 22" Wide
*Latest Sabayon* :)
csendesmark
Simple Hen

Postby ScottishDuckHunter » Sat Sep 22, 2007 17:46

csendesmark wrote:I played out this game yesterday!
This is the G.O.T.Y '07 :) (until now)

But I'm waiting for CRYSIS (the only challege in this year on the GOTY competition)

BioShock is a good game, because the story is awesome, the graphis is also good (Unreal 3.0 engine)
the sounds are horroristic ;)

I would calm yourself down, im not going to say how i know but very soon crytek is going to delay the release of crysis to next year. Why? Vista still isn't good enough :/

Oh yea and i think Bioshock is actually a modded Unreal 2.5 :)
ScottishDuckHunter
Simple Hen

Next

Return to The Gamers Shed