Baselayout conflicting packages [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

DontPanic
Old Dear Hen
Posts: 742
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 20:29
Location: Mobile, AL, USA

Re: Baselayout conflicting packages [Solved]

Post by DontPanic » Mon Aug 27, 2007 16:41

I see this thread is marked as solved, and I've carefully read through it, but I'm not sure which post is the solution. It seems like every solution that's presented is disputed.

I'm still stuck at:

Code: Select all

[blocks B     ] <sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0_rc (is blocking sys-apps/makedev-3.23.1)


Has anybody figured out what is blocking this?
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU [email protected] 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM

wolfden
Sharecropper
Posts: 9051
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 0:55
Location: Midwest USA
Contact:

Re:

Post by wolfden » Mon Aug 27, 2007 20:34

wolfden wrote:This is gonna be a big issue for people since it effects so many config files.

you have to unmask
sys-apps/baselayout

Code: Select all

echo "sys-apps/baselayout" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask


than you have to

Code: Select all

emerge baselayout --nodeps


now the fun part is the 30 config files -- there are important ones in there so make sure you check them

Brian_X7
Young Hen
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 15:25
Location: Chicago

Re: Baselayout conflicting packages [Solved]

Post by Brian_X7 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:38

wolfden wrote:This is gonna be a big issue for people since it effects so many config files.
now the fun part is the 30 config files -- there are important ones in there so make sure you check them



Yeah, but has anyone figured out how to get xdm back after this?

wolfden
Sharecropper
Posts: 9051
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 0:55
Location: Midwest USA
Contact:

Re: Baselayout conflicting packages [Solved]

Post by wolfden » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:28

Brian_X7 wrote:
wolfden wrote:This is gonna be a big issue for people since it effects so many config files.
now the fun part is the 30 config files -- there are important ones in there so make sure you check them



Yeah, but has anyone figured out how to get xdm back after this?


what version of sabayon are you running?

I don't recall loosing it in the x86

Brian_X7
Young Hen
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 15:25
Location: Chicago

Re: Baselayout conflicting packages [Solved]

Post by Brian_X7 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 13:09

wolfden wrote:
Brian_X7 wrote:
wolfden wrote:This is gonna be a big issue for people since it effects so many config files.
now the fun part is the 30 config files -- there are important ones in there so make sure you check them



Yeah, but has anyone figured out how to get xdm back after this?


what version of sabayon are you running?

I don't recall loosing it in the x86


I'm running 3.4e x86. I've gotten it back by changing the xdm to kdm in /etc/conf.d/xdm, but now I don't have the Sabayon login box. I get the KDE login box instead.

Thanks,
Brian

wolfden
Sharecropper
Posts: 9051
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 0:55
Location: Midwest USA
Contact:

Re: Baselayout conflicting packages [Solved]

Post by wolfden » Tue Aug 28, 2007 22:32

yea cause you overwrote the config files :wink:

Brian_X7
Young Hen
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 15:25
Location: Chicago

Re: Baselayout conflicting packages [Solved]

Post by Brian_X7 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 18:28

wolfden wrote:yea cause you overwrote the config files :wink:


uh huh, and what files might i start to look at to get my sabayon login back? :oops:

wolfden
Sharecropper
Posts: 9051
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 0:55
Location: Midwest USA
Contact:

Re: Baselayout conflicting packages [Solved]

Post by wolfden » Wed Aug 29, 2007 22:47

Easiest way is to use the KDM Theme manager

Control Center - System Administration - KDM Theme Manager
---------click on Administrator Mode - enter password
-----------Check or X the box Enable KDE Theme
------------Select BCOpenFuture

logout of KDE and presto, all betters

DontPanic
Old Dear Hen
Posts: 742
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 20:29
Location: Mobile, AL, USA

Re: Baselayout conflicting packages [Solved]

Post by DontPanic » Wed Aug 29, 2007 22:56

I just got this xdm error while rebooting...

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/xdm: line 119: ebegin: command not found
/etc/init.d/xdm: line 121: save_options: command not found
/etc/init.d/xdm: line 133: eend: command not found
 * ERROR: xdm failed to start

Is this the same error everyone else is talking about?

My temporary workaround was to unmerge makedev, and downgrade baselayout to 1.12.10-r4.

My system boots now, and all the errors I saw were related to my timezone going back to the factory default (I missed that when re-merging the etc scripts).

But I honestly don't know the purpose of makedev, so I'm taking a risk by unmerging this package. I would hate for other users to assume this is a solution. It's just the work-around I'm implementing to get my system back on it's legs while I sort out this issue.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU [email protected] 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM

Brian_X7
Young Hen
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 15:25
Location: Chicago

Re: Baselayout conflicting packages [Solved]

Post by Brian_X7 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:27

DontPanic wrote:I just got this xdm error while rebooting...

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/xdm: line 119: ebegin: command not found
/etc/init.d/xdm: line 121: save_options: command not found
/etc/init.d/xdm: line 133: eend: command not found
 * ERROR: xdm failed to start

Is this the same error everyone else is talking about?

My temporary workaround was to unmerge makedev, and downgrade baselayout to 1.12.10-r4.

My system boots now, and all the errors I saw were related to my timezone going back to the factory default (I missed that when re-merging the etc scripts).


Yeah, I got the same error. I somehow got past that by editing /etc/rc.conf or something like that and replacing DISPLAYMANAGER=xdm with
DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm

I'm getting the timezone error, how do I correct that?

Thanks,
Brian

Post Reply