Intel 4965 card won't connect to any networks

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Intel 4965 card won't connect to any networks

Postby scotty562 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 14:45

I'm a newbie to sabayon but I have been using ubuntu for over a year. Ubuntu recently integrated the new drivers for this card into their latest tribe. When I looked through the changed for 3.4 it appears that sabayon did this same. I'm curious why I can see networks but I cannot connect to them. I am running sayabon 3.4e x64.

Oh, and if I can get this to work I might just stick with saybayon. I LOVE having my video drivers installed off the get-go.
scotty562
Baby Hen

Postby Matthew Wiebelhaus » Fri Aug 17, 2007 19:42

Its probally because it isn't stable what driver are you using?
Matthew Wiebelhaus
Simple Hen

Postby scotty562 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 21:43

I have no idea. I did get it to connect once since my original post.
scotty562
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Fri Aug 17, 2007 22:25

What networks?

Samba?
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Aug 17, 2007 23:01

Wifi networks is sometimes locked or needs a pass key for wep = hacked already , wpa / wpa2 or even the mac adress of your card is loacked in the wifi router. Check signal say if you can connect in windows then you should be able to in Linux as well.

Alternatively you can as root in terminal:
# su
passwd:
# net-setup
This will run a config type prog. that helps you connect and might have to be done once provided the signal is strong enough.

After this if still not connecting you can try and unload the module :
# lsmod
# modprobe -r ????
replacing the ??? with module for wifi card possibly ipw4965 ??
Also check lspci
# lspci
As it might list something that the wifi card connect via say it is a usb 4965 then usb haas to work as well ?? not sure about this.
Then using windows .inf files / driver + ndiswrapper you can get the card going and see if it connect.
This way it should and have no excuses to connect.

It could alternatively be something else and have to check all possible wifi to pc type problems that can block it as well as maybe another version of the ipw4965 driver. Signal / noise / something in wall that if you move it 10" or 15 cm it works and connects , you would not believe the stuff if I tell you, you get the idea.

As far as I know it works in 3.4e version not sure don't own one.
The wiki on top of this page / search / gentoo.org forums / wiki should also be able to give you some info until someone that owns the card can advise.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: Intel 4965 card won't connect to any networks

Postby Belial » Mon Aug 20, 2007 21:44

Few things that could also be making it worse

- 3.4 shipped with a version of wpa_supplicant that wasnt the best, and has now been masked, try (from a wired connection, using net-setup if your still having probs)

Code: Select all
emerge --sync
emerge -av wpa_supplicant

See if it wants to downgrade it, if so let it do its magic

- the drivers

They were a nightmare to get going, but today (20th) intel popped some new ones out, and so far tested them with wep/wpa/wpa2 networkmanager and manually configured and has all worked a treat.

not an ebuild for them yet, but you can grab them http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/iwlwi ... -0.1.9.tgz

and can follow the instructions on their site if you need help, they are still in development but this is definitly the only useable release for me so far, though as always ymmv

Still having trouble shout back, almost pulled my hair out getting that card going lol :)
Belial
Young Hen

Postby hippomofatumas » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:00

yeah im still having trouble with this. got a intel 4965 agn in my inspiron 1420.

its seeing networks but cant connect.

and i went through intellinuxwireless's how-to for it, still no luck.

it seems the driver should work, something just isnt clicking quite right and im not experienced enough with linux to know what.

anyone out there got an answer?
hippomofatumas
Baby Hen

Postby Belial » Tue Aug 28, 2007 23:32

hippo, if you boot, and then try to connect and paste the relevant bottom part from the command dmesg and see what the problem is
Belial
Young Hen

Postby hippomofatumas » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:22

i dont know the terminology. dmesg? bagah? when youre helping out a noobie you gotta do a step by step.

: )
hippomofatumas
Baby Hen

Postby mjf55 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:01

entering dmesg from a shell will display the contents of the file /var/log/dmesg. I use kate ( kde editor ) to open the file /var/log/dmesg and then copy / paste the pertinent parts ( referring to wifi, intel 3945, etc ) here.
Also, what are you trying to connect to? I use my own router what only connects to specific mac address that I set up in the router. If that is not set up, no-connect. Could that be part of the problem.
mjf55
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Networking and Wireless