Live CD works in VMware will not on real hardware

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Live CD works in VMware will not on real hardware

Postby gigamike » Fri Aug 17, 2007 17:38

Long time Sabayon user until 3.2 when I left due to constant X11 lockups. Came back after reading the great reviews on 3.4a and downloaded 3.4e.

My problem is that I can't get the LiveCD to get past "loading kernel" on dedicated hardware.

MD5 checks out on the .iso and I used the same DVD I burned to create the virtual machines. My main box is an Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.93 GHz, 4GB of RAM, SATA disks and an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX with a 30" Apple Cinema Display which has run Sabayon before as well as numerous Linux and BSD distros. This is the first time I haven't been able to run a Live CD. It also doesn't work on other slightly older machines I have with the only common denominators being Core 2 Duo procs and SATA disks.

When I boot up to the disk, I get the main menu. I select 1 (or any of the options) and it says "loading kernel" and then the screen goes blank. Nothing works, hard freeze.

Anyone seen this before?
gigamike
Baby Hen

Postby gigamike » Fri Aug 17, 2007 18:24

Just found this: http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=8771. Looks like I'm not the only one and that I'm not crazy. I also tried burning with two other DVD burners with same result. Must be something with our hardware. Too bad, I've been dying to try this release since 3.4a was announced :(
gigamike
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**