Dual boot problems [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Dual boot problems [Solved]

Postby wobbleyhead » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:00

Hi all,

I'm running (was running) Xp alongside Sabayon. I tried to do some repartitioning and messed it up fairly badly. :(

I fragged Grub completely, the system wouldn't get past the POST and all I got was the incredibly high pitched beep of operating system not found....bugger :oops:

I used ERD commander and booted into that. I changed the active partition to window's (as I'm sure it was the fragging of grub that has knackerd the system), I can now boot into windows without a problem. So that's half the problem sorted, but the easy part as far as I'm concerened

My question is this, how would i go about reinstalling grub without causing further damage. Can I just install it or is it a more convoluted process?

I've tried to find something that will allow me to navigate to the partition and remove the data I need from it but it doesn't seem to work and Backtrack isn't letting me mount the drive.

I don't want to do a fresh install of Sabayon as I think I still have a usable OS in that partition. I just can't boot to it. At the min i feel like I'm punching above my weight trying to fix this, so if anyone has any ideas or advice it would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Last edited by wobbleyhead on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:38, edited 1 time in total.
Baby Hen

Postby dawn`chorus » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:59

Try the Super Grub Disc. http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

It has a "Restrore Grub to MBR" feature. If you read the info screens, it'll really walk you through.
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:00

the SL installer has an option to just install grub, so boot the disk up and reinstall grub thru the installer

Postby wobbleyhead » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:36

Thanks I used the install disk to reinstall grub in the end as the super grub disk may have worked if i still had a grub partition on the harddisk.
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**