How to install (offline) programs?

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

How to install (offline) programs?

Postby MacQuack » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:13

Hi!
I'm trying to learn Linux.
I downloaded Firefox 2.0.0.6 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 and I'd like to install them on Sabayon.
I have no Internet connection on that PC.

How do I install them?
I extracted the tar.gz contents in a directory and clicked on a "script" file, Firefox starts and runs well but it's not installed system-wide.

Thanks for any help.

:wink:
MacQuack
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:44

yea well ummmmm, this distro isn't a good one to use for offline puters - you have to get the .ebuild and all the dependecies and than place them in the correct locations to install em

installing it the way your installing it is going to cause a lot of problems down the road
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby MacQuack » Thu Aug 16, 2007 16:39

I installed Opera version 9.23 downloading it, extracting all files in a directory and then simply typing in Terminal as root: "./install-sh", a file included in its tar.gz package, then selecting "Yes" twice to the following requests.

Its icon is in the K menu and everything works fine.

:D

It depends on programs, Portato is not updated but I don't care.

My online computer is a Mac.

I'll wait for a new version of Sabayon including updated applications if it's not possible to install them safely and offline.
Never mind.
MacQuack
Baby Hen

Postby Necoro » Thu Aug 16, 2007 17:27

MacQuack wrote:I installed Opera version 9.23 downloading it, extracting all files in a directory and then simply typing in Terminal as root: "./install-sh", a file included in its tar.gz package, then selecting "Yes" twice to the following requests.

Very bad - very bad. Installing software w/o letting the package manager (portage) know ... it is not such a big problem with opera. But if you do this more often you will likely run into problems.
Necoro
Advanced Hen

Postby gazal » Thu Aug 16, 2007 18:00

Necoro wrote:
MacQuack wrote:I installed Opera version 9.23 downloading it, extracting all files in a directory and then simply typing in Terminal as root: "./install-sh", a file included in its tar.gz package, then selecting "Yes" twice to the following requests.

Very bad - very bad. Installing software w/o letting the package manager (portage) know ... it is not such a big problem with opera. But if you do this more often you will likely run into problems.

Very bad - very bad the things are this way!
Portage must know by itself what i do, it's bad that i must worry for him and not it for me!
Linux masochists, why do you love troubles ?
I'm very tired of this redundant complexity.
gazal
Advanced Hen

Postby Necoro » Thu Aug 16, 2007 18:03

gazal wrote:Portage must know by itself what i do, it's bad that i must worry for him and not it for me!
I hope this is irony...
Necoro
Advanced Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:20

It's an offline computer, but yet your installing Opera???? Ummmmmm okay than, moving right along.......... :?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby MacQuack » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:44

wolfden wrote:It's an offline computer, but yet your installing Opera???? Ummmmmm okay than, moving right along.......... :?

I have html pages downloaded for offline reading.
Anyway, I said that I'm learning to use Linux.
It's my old PC and I'm using it only for that.

A friend of mine could use it online.
MacQuack
Baby Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers