Wireless being detected, but not connecting

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Wireless being detected, but not connecting

Postby kobeyashi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 21:47

Hello All !
I have finally made the switch to Sabayon today. :D
Everything's smooth, except for the wireless connection. My wireless connection is being picked up by 'KNetworkManager' (All available networks infact).
It asks me to enter the WEP key, which I provide, but it always stops at 57% ,that is, "Activation Stage: IP configuration started."

Oh, and just incase, my laptop is a HP DV1000 with a Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG card.

Could someone please help me out?
P.S. Please bear with me, n00b here. :)
kobeyashi
Baby Hen

Postby robhwill » Tue Aug 14, 2007 23:51

good luck, man. i'm running SL 3.4e and ran 3.26, then 3.4a since sometime in may. apparently from reading all the forum posts if u hv a some intel and nearl *all* broadcom wireless chips especially ur simply sol. i'm on hp dv9000 w/broadcom 4311 and *don't* have ms$winblows, so i do not have bcm43xx drivers from that os....divorced billy boy and ms$ in 1997 (w/suse 6.3) and hv not looked back. this is the first time i have not been able to connect a machine to the 'net in 10 years....go figure. i suggest rather that read all the "fork" related gentoo vs. sabayon related stuff (which is what i've wasted my time on) u start evaluating other distro for immediate connectivity. for backgraound here, just check out the many n00b questions re: wireless that have not been answered! take care, Have A Healthy, Prosperous Day
---rob
robhwill
Young Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:48

kobeyashi welcome here.
We do not flame persons for asking questons.

You are using version ??? 3.3b mini , 3.4 loop2 , 3.4 loop3 , 1.0 BE , 3.4a , 3.4e ???

You can as root in terminal:
# su
passwd:
# net-setup
and follow what it ask's then once complete , try the knetworkmanager next to time again as sometimes in the older SL version's this net-setup fixes it or editing /etc/resolv.conf and adding your isp's dns server ip's in there also fixes it.
example:
nameserver 10.2.3.4
nameserver 10.2.4.5

3.4e dvd wifi is 100% better / updated + most bug's from the drivers has been fixed and running smootly now.
3.4e cd version is comming in the next 2 weeks once rdy.

Hope this helps or check the wiki on top of this page or gentoo.org forums / wiki as well.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:06

Robert H. Williams wrote:good luck, man. i'm running SL 3.4e and ran 3.26, then 3.4a since sometime in may. apparently from reading all the forum posts if u hv a some intel and nearl *all* broadcom wireless chips especially ur simply sol. i'm on hp dv9000 w/broadcom 4311 and *don't* have ms$winblows, so i do not have bcm43xx drivers from that os....divorced billy boy and ms$ in 1997 (w/suse 6.3) and hv not looked back. this is the first time i have not been able to connect a machine to the 'net in 10 years....go figure. i suggest rather that read all the "fork" related gentoo vs. sabayon related stuff (which is what i've wasted my time on) u start evaluating other distro for immediate connectivity. for backgraound here, just check out the many n00b questions re: wireless that have not been answered! take care, Have A Healthy, Prosperous Day
---rob

????

Houston ???
Hopefully you have noticed that the buggy broadcom / Intel linux drivers is not in 3.4e so the broadcom / intel wifi stuff works 100% (bcm4311mcg / ipw3945 both of them / mine works fine)

We can do nothing for bug's / bad code in a driver / module / firmware.
And the windows drivers can be extracted in wine / wine doors / windows on a virtual pc based software being emulated can also be use with ndiswrapper as alternative to the gentoo / Sabayon driver's in the kernel coming from kernel.org + each driver's developer.
Heck I offered to download and extract + upload the win drivers to anyone who needed.

Unfortunately the bug reports and general forums discusions is mixed so everything looks worse than what it actually is.

I can tell you of the 13 linux distro's I have and the 5 to 7 versions per distro there is maybe 5% that actually has working wifi driver or if they have it is running at half speed and or stoned drivers.

SL works 99% of the time as compared to 5% of most other distro's.
The closest one to Sabayon is PcLinuxOs.com and even there I have to use win drivers + ndiswrapper for both bcm4311mcg and ipw3945 heck even in windows vista copy that I shreded and Xp that I sometimes use I have to install windows drivers for 95% of my pc part's new / old.

So the big deal about drivers is nothing in the end or you can try gentoo non booting 2007 cd / dvd + all it's bugs and compile a system from scratch and see how fast you are back to Sabayon.

:roll:
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby kobeyashi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:23

WarraWarra wrote:kobeyashi welcome here.
We do not flame persons for asking questons.

You are using version ??? 3.3b mini , 3.4 loop2 , 3.4 loop3 , 1.0 BE , 3.4a , 3.4e ???

You can as root in terminal:
# su
passwd:
# net-setup
and follow what it ask's then once complete , try the knetworkmanager next to time again as sometimes in the older SL version's this net-setup fixes it or editing /etc/resolv.conf and adding your isp's dns server ip's in there also fixes it.
example:
nameserver 10.2.3.4
nameserver 10.2.4.5

3.4e dvd wifi is 100% better / updated + most bug's from the drivers has been fixed and running smootly now.
3.4e cd version is comming in the next 2 weeks once rdy.

Hope this helps or check the wiki on top of this page or gentoo.org forums / wiki as well.

Thanks for your welcome, WarraWarra. :)
All I know is that I am using version 3.4. How do I find out the exact version?
On my DVD, it says Sabayon Linux 3.4 x86.
However, the 'system info' from my computer shows the OS as "Linux 2.6.22-sabayon i686" and KDE as 3.5.7
I have checked the resolv.conf file, and the DNS server's IP address is correct there.

Everything is working, except for the connection to the wireless. I really dont want to go back to XP. :(
kobeyashi
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:54

For Version:
Code: Select all
cat /etc/*-release
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby kobeyashi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 13:35

Thanks for the help everyone. I am now online via my Linux Machine. 8) 8) 8)

I'll probably be back when I get stuck somewhere, since I am a first time Linux user. :)
kobeyashi
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Aug 16, 2007 0:18

Nice to hear iot is working for you.
I have also seen there is this command not sure how good it is to use ? / safe or not ?

# arp -d *

Had to use it after messing with the router insides / firmware to release the ip's / clean it out not sure.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby Lucidan » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:22

kobeyashi wrote:Thanks for the help everyone. I am now online via my Linux Machine. 8) 8) 8)

So how did you solve the problem?
Lucidan
Young Hen

Re: Wireless being detected, but not connecting

Postby fascist » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:48

Hi all,

I just registered to let you know, that I installed 3.3b mini this morning on my Compaq V2000 (internally the same as the HP DV1000 mentioned above), and initially couldn't get the wireless to go, but after reading this thread, and still not getting anywhere, I realised that the built-in kill switch was off, so a press of the button (no indicator light either way in Linux) got it working, and KNetworkManager picked up networks straight away. It even connected no dramas to my WPA-PSK network (which was a major hassle on the same hardware with Fedora 7).

So if all else fails, try pressing the wireless button on this model laptop. You'll notice the output from iwconfig will change from saying the radio is off, to giving a power level. Turning the radio on with iwconfig did not work with this machine and the mini-pci intel 2200BG.
fascist
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Networking and Wireless