Live DVD - Erratic (?)

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Live DVD - Erratic (?)

Postby vdgarud » Sat Aug 11, 2007 18:16

Hi,

I am using Linux in various distributions for last about 5 years. However, I am a user, not an expert in computers. Though I can follow directions and configure the system. I have used Redhat, PCQuest, Mandrake, Mepis and SuSE.

I am at present using SuSE 10.2 on Toshiba Satellite R10 Tablet PC. Intel Pentium (M) 1.8 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD. Dual boot with Windows XP Tablet PC edition (not used much) and SuSE 10.2 (Primary OS). A partition of 12 GB is free for experimenting.

Looking at "where art meets inspiration" tag, I decided to experience Sabayon Linux. Downloaded 3.4aDVD, burned it and booted in LiveDVD version. No real problems in booting. Though, selecting "No acceleration" froze the system during boot. Other two options are working. However, the art doesn't seem to be meeting inspiration.

I don't know how I am supposed to see the cube in 3d desktop. The settings in the compiz manager seem to be OK (there are too many to reproduce here.) I tried with default settings - wherein 3D cube, rotation, etc. are enabled. When I drag a window outside the edge of the desktop, the cube is seen momentarily. The window disappears across the edge and the feasible way to bring it back is to click on the window name in the panel. Is this what is supposed to happen? Incidentally, I did not/could not see anything about Beryl, which is also supposed to be 3d desktop manager.

There is a problem with network connection. I have a broadband connection. The router connects to the internet and has IP of 192.168.1.1. Under SuSE, the eth0 has IP,192.168.1.2, netmask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1 (the router IP). The Live DVD boot shows the IP address for the network card (wired connection) 169.254.199.166, netmask 255.255.0.0 and broadcast address 169.254.255.255. With this IP/netmask combination ping 192.168.1.1 (my router) gives "network not reachable" error. I tried to change the IP details of eth0 through knetwork manager, through the network connections settings under settings and system menu. However, the values do not get registered. With "ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up", I am able to ping to 192.168.1.1 (The router). However, I can't ping to anything else, say http://www.yahoo.com Effectively, I am unable to connect to internet. What should I do?

Sorry for rather long posting. However, I don't know what I am missing?

Thanks
Vikas Garud
vdgarud
Baby Hen

Postby davemc » Sat Aug 11, 2007 18:34

I experience the ethernet issues occaisionally as well. Its not a big deal. All you have to do is right click on knetworkmanager and click on the "wired connection" or "eth0" (whichever it says) and it will reconfigure itself and usually pick it right up. Sometimes you have to do it a second time. You can also reset the network or reboot. As far as the beryl cube, you can click and hold the middle mouse button and you will see it and can move it around by dragging. You can use the ctrl+alt+ left or right arrows, ctrl+alt+tab to go to page view. Lots of fun toys on beyrl to play with. Experiment with the control panels (compiz fusion). In truth, compiz fusion is nowhere near being as good as beryl, but I do hope that they will someday be able to catch back up, imo. Anyway, good luck.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Sat Aug 11, 2007 21:44

if you can ping the router but not yahoo.com, it usually is a bad dns entry in /etc/resolv.conf, try the above procedure and if you still can't get it run as root

net-setup

if your cube isn't working than either rerun the accel-manager and restart X or check your xorg.conf file and make sure drivers is right and the two lines below are not commented

Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby vdgarud » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:51

Thanks for all the help. Please see my experience in-line:

davemc wrote:I experience the ethernet issues occaisionally as well. Its not a big deal. All you have to do is right click on knetworkmanager and click on the "wired connection" or "eth0" (whichever it says) and it will reconfigure itself and usually pick it right up. Sometimes you have to do it a second time. You can also reset the network or reboot.

wolfden wrote:if you can ping the router but not yahoo.com, it usually is a bad dns entry in /etc/resolv.conf, try the above procedure and if you still can't get it run as root
net-setup

I could connect to network by net-setup, addition of router as nameserver and quitting the Network manager.
davemc wrote: As far as the beryl cube, you can click and hold the middle mouse button and you will see it and can move it around by dragging. You can use the ctrl+alt+ left or right arrows, ctrl+alt+tab to go to page view. Lots of fun toys on beyrl to play with. Experiment with the control panels (compiz fusion). In truth, compiz fusion is nowhere near being as good as beryl, but I do hope that they will someday be able to catch back up, imo. Anyway, good luck.

wolfden wrote: if your cube isn't working than either rerun the accel-manager and restart X or check your xorg.conf file and make sure drivers is right and the two lines below are not commented
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
Option "Composite" "Enable"

I am working on laptop and don't have middle mouse button. The options in xorg.conf are as suggested. However, not much luck with cube. Will try with different settings. However, after success with network, I installed on a 12 GB partition and it is not sufficient. I am writing another quarry/post about unistalling some software.
Thanks once again.
Vikas Garud
vdgarud
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:54

if you are struggling for space than go the mini route - removing things isn't as easy as you think
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby vdgarud » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:03

wolfden wrote:if you are struggling for space than go the mini route - removing things isn't as easy as you think

OK, will try the mini route. But does it give flavour of the distribution? Would it allow me to experience the 3d effects?

Thanks
vdgarud
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:22

of couse, but you should wait for 3.4 mini. Why not make bigger partition?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby davemc » Mon Aug 13, 2007 13:11

Hi, for beryl cube on laptop all you need to do is hold down both of your touchpad keys at the same time and then use your free finger on the touchpad to move the cube around. Or you can just hookup a spare mouse.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby mktyap » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:56

wolfden wrote:of couse, but you should wait for 3.4 mini. Why not make bigger partition?

"mini Mini?!" did anyone say "Mini" ?
Ive been waiting...still waiting... :(
mktyap
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:06

keep waiting :P
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**