I have an older version on disk (3.26), how can I upgrade?

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

I have an older version on disk (3.26), how can I upgrade?

Postby axemblack » Sat Aug 11, 2007 18:53

I downloaded Sabayon a while ago but never actually got round to installing it on my system. Now I want to install it but my disk is quite old now (version 3.26). Instead of downloading the full ~4GB latest version, can I install my older version and then get a patch to bring it up to the latest version? Does a patch exist whereby I can do this?
axemblack
Baby Hen

Postby Eden » Sat Aug 11, 2007 19:41

Well theres two options, keep your system up do date via portage (and soon entropy) which will pretty much give you a system as up to date of not newer then the latest 3.4e release. Second option, download 3.4e, wipe your old install of 3.26 and install the latest version.

Theres no patches for the dvds from 3.26>3.4e that i know of
Eden
Growing Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Aug 11, 2007 19:59

Yup best is to backup doc's / video's / mp3's etc to another hd / dvd and then wipe and install.

Updating from before 3.3 is not recommended would have the same effect as running the 3.4e upgrade option in the installer directly on windows = bugs / issues / takes ages and unstable or this is what I have read / heard.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Aug 11, 2007 21:36

Get the latest version, that is way way way to old
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby axemblack » Sun Aug 12, 2007 13:51

ok, I looked to get the x86 3.4e ISO file on the mirrors, but all the ones I tried were only a few hundred megs. That can't be right can it? Also, ion some that I tried that said the file size was ~3GB, when I went to download it, it instantly downloaded but its just a few KB file, and some of the others say they are 3-odd gig files but are actually only a couple hundred megs. Can someone post a link to a proper working x86 3.4e ISO file for DVD?
axemblack
Baby Hen

Postby flick » Sun Aug 12, 2007 15:10

Worked for me : ftp://dotdot.mine.nu/sabayon/SabayonLin ... 4-3.4e.iso

By the way : notice that's a link to an .iso, there are also links to .md5's which are checksums for the .iso images, those are of course very small. If you don't know what a checksum is : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum

Hope that helps.
flick
Growing Hen

Postby axemblack » Sun Aug 12, 2007 15:23

that file is for the x64/86 version, I need just the x86 version

EDIT: I have downloaded a file: SabayonLinux-x86-3.4e.ISO, can't remember which mirror it was from but it is only 159MB...that can't be the full version can it? It wasn't the Mini version either.
axemblack
Baby Hen

Postby flick » Sun Aug 12, 2007 15:57

flick
Growing Hen

Postby axemblack » Sun Aug 12, 2007 16:03

It says Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage...

damn why is it so hard to download Sabayon? I donwloaded Ubuntu 7.04 in about 2 clicks...this is really annoying

Also, while I'm here, can someone briefly explain to me what WINE is, how it works and how to get it?
axemblack
Baby Hen

Postby flick » Sun Aug 12, 2007 16:21

WINE is an open-source reverse-engineered version of the Windows API. Lets win32 applications and libraries communicate with Linux kernel and libraries and applications. Has a definite sweet spot of being likely to run programs written for Windows 98 through Windows 2000, can handle some of what's been written for XP. Remember, it's all reverse-engineered with ( obviously ) no help at all from Microsoft, so the WINE folks work as hard and as fast as they can, but are always going to be playing catch-up.

In Sabayon, should just be an "emerge wine" to get it installed. Wine-doors is apparently a nice GUI frontend. "Emerge wine-doors" should get that. Although I believe both are already in the full dvd edition of Sabayon 3.4e.

Re : the downloading, maybe you should try using a torrent. Slower, but almost a sure thing.

Sabayon is harder to download than Ubuntu because : Ubuntu has Mark Shuttleworth's millions backing it. And millions of users. They have lots of mirrors. Lots of torrents. Lots of bandwidth. Lots of developers.

Sabayon has lxnay and Dark_Mage. Two guys. They put together a preconfigured Gentoo that more or less works and really shows off what open source software can produce. They need money to do what they want with this project, which is why Sabayon 3.4a now has a "donate to the project" link right on the desktop. They don't have Shuttleworth's money to buy scads of mirror sites.
flick
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**