Help the KDE environment is responding slower and slower

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Help the KDE environment is responding slower and slower

Postby MaximusClay » Fri Aug 10, 2007 0:16

I just installed Sabayon Linux from a live cd to my hp Compaq nx6310 laptop, and when I start to play around with it(and with beryl if it has any difference) everything starts to take it's time responding, And I mean the windows load slowly, the information on them is loaded slowly, everything is just crap, and videos from websites start playing choppy. So the word I'm useing to describe this is everything is choppy, even after I turn of beryl. Any Ideas why? And what can I do?
And I have both intel video card and wifi modem in the laptop(if that makes a difference)
MaximusClay
Baby Hen

Postby davemc » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:17

Kinda hard to tell whats going on without knowing your setup. Beryl can slow things down depending..

Have you tried some boot switches like noapic nolapic?
davemc
Sharecropper

Both KDA and fusionbox slow down.

Postby MaximusClay » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:01

My setup

CPU: Intel, T2300 @ 1.66GHz
Ram 1 Gig
Hard drive is about 60 Gigs.
My swap partition isn't being used as far as system monitors tell me, could that be an issue.
also is there a text file that holds the configuration data?
MaximusClay
Baby Hen

Postby davemc » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:46

try these

$top

$ps aux

those will tell you whats eating up your resources. Monitor top for a while and you should see one or two processes consuming most of your stuff. Its probably beryl, but ya never know.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby MaximusClay » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:44

The process thats taking up most resources is X.

User PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMMAND
root 15 0 463m 89m 5764 R 40-60 9.0 11:06.40 X

After about 10 minutes of usage X starts to hover in the 40 to 60 percent most of the time
even if my pc is idle.

thats strange

does anyone know how to change the settings on the details of KDE versus processing speed?
I seen it at introduction configuration wizard, and couldn't find it sinse.

also I can't get my NTFS partition of winXP to mount or see unless I'm root, is there a way to change that?
MaximusClay
Baby Hen

Postby MaximusClay » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:57

Also forgot to mention, my display is refreshing at 60ghz or whatever hertz the display uses.
I remember that in winxp my refresh rate was 75 or more. and I don't have the option of changing it in KDE
to 75. Any Ideas?
MaximusClay
Baby Hen

Postby davemc » Sat Aug 11, 2007 18:23

Check what video driver your running. Ensure you have the correct setups. As far as resolutions, follow the xorg wiki (there are many, but you should be good to go by following the Sabayon or Gentoo ones). Your going to have to edit your xorg.conf. Its quite possible that all your issues are being caused by conflicting, or improper video setups. If your on ATI, I feel for you, because they truly hate linux. However, if your on NVIDIA or Intel, your in luck.
davemc
Sharecropper

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**