GRUB question

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

GRUB question

Postby iamtdk20 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 18:00

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to linux and Sabayon. I just ran the Live DVD 3.4e and I have to say I'm in love. I'm ready to install but I have a question:

I want to buy another hard drive, make that my primary and install sabayon on it. Is there a way I can have GRUB point to my second hard drive (windows) so that I can still boot into windows when I need to? I have software from work installed on it that I, unfortunately, still need to access. I know I can resize the partition and dual boot off that Hard drive but its small and I'd much rather buy a new 320gb. Thanks in advance.
iamtdk20
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Aug 09, 2007 19:15

Yes you can do it.
You can either let the installer detect the windows partition and automatically add it or after install just edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and add the windows partition there using the chainloader+1 option to boot to the windows hd. Or using a usb hd install and run sabayon directly via usb if your pc can boot from usb device.

During install the grub config options come up and then just use "add" and it should be /dev/sdb for windows or if windows hd is first then it will be /dev/sda and 320gb /dev/sdb or something like this.

Also have a look at the "wiki" on top of this page / manual / encyclopedia to sabayon or gentoo.org forums / wiki if not found here.

If using 3.4e it has "wine doors" and possibly you can install the windows software directly onto linux using this , example: winamp / directx 9c works in it or run vmare / virtualbox and install a copy of windows on it then use the small hd as backup device for documents / pics / video's etc .

Always make backups before installing / playing with hd's as data can be lost .

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby iamtdk20 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 19:25

Thanks!
iamtdk20
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**