GRUB error 22

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

GRUB error 22

Postby Neil » Wed Aug 08, 2007 23:06

Ok.. well.. after completely formatting my hard drives due to error 17 with grub, i reinstalled Sabayon on my 500 gig drive (which is a sata drive) instead of on the 60 gig drive.

Everything went smoothly with the install except when i rebooted it gave me GRUB error 22, I searched many forums and could only find help for people with a windows partition along side their Ubuntu partitions. I ONLY have Sabayon on this system so I don't know what to do, I don't have any windows disks to use any fix booting or anything. Any help would be appreciated. If you need further information just ask.

Thank you
Neil
Baby Hen

Postby Neil » Wed Aug 08, 2007 23:21

I believe i have solved it!!! I went in to BIOS and reordered the HDDs so that it boots up from the 500 gig first. Thank you for reading this though i hope the info i posted helps someone.
Neil
Baby Hen

Postby fluxam » Thu Aug 09, 2007 0:22

I wonder if this is related to problems I describe in a thread called ntldr ...?
Does it seem to you that there was a change in the BIOS setting relating to which drive is first to boot?
Linux is free! (... if your time has no value.)
fluxam
Baby Hen

Re: GRUB error 22

Postby mauri.omissoni » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:39

Neil wrote:Ok.. well.. after completely formatting my hard drives due to error 17 with grub, i reinstalled Sabayon on my 500 gig drive (which is a sata drive) instead of on the 60 gig drive.

Everything went smoothly with the install except when i rebooted it gave me GRUB error 22, I searched many forums and could only find help for people with a windows partition along side their Ubuntu partitions. I ONLY have Sabayon on this system so I don't know what to do, I don't have any windows disks to use any fix booting or anything. Any help would be appreciated. If you need further information just ask.

Thank you
mauri.omissoni
Baby Hen

Re: GRUB error 22

Postby mauri.omissoni » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:41

Neil wrote:Ok.. well.. after completely formatting my hard drives due to error 17 with grub, i reinstalled Sabayon on my 500 gig drive (which is a sata drive) instead of on the 60 gig drive.

Thank you

The Grub is still in the Master Boot Record of the first disk (sda) even you deleted all partitions on it! It send an error cause Grub do not find the partitions anymore.
So, if you have installed Sabayon on another disk (sdb,sdc or other), you failed while the installation to say that Grub should be written on /dev/sda.
But you can do it also later with
grub-install /dev/sda
but do not forget to change the bios again, in order to boot from primary master.
mauri.omissoni
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**