Error loading operating system

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Error loading operating system

Postby treaz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 19:12

This is the error I get when trying to boot SL 3.4a. It was working perfectly until I started a windows XP setup. It all went fine until winxp told me that i couldn't install it. Whatever.... bottom line is linux won't boot and and don't want to reinstall it.

PLS HELP!

Cheers,
Treaz
treaz
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Aug 07, 2007 20:41

what is the error?

you are installing XP after SL is installed?

try to provide more details

:?:
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Gigadelic IIDX » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:54

if your tryin to setup a Dual Boot u have to have Windows XP Installed First then install Sabayon
Gigadelic IIDX
Simple Hen

Error loading operating sytem

Postby treaz » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:59

This is the error: "Error loading operating sytem" (the topic of the thread). Yes, I have tried to install windows on a machine that had SL 3.4a installed. I believe the windows setup messed up the mbr or something. I still don't understand how the process works as i'm new to gentoo (and grub) and I don't know what other details would be useful.

A friend of mine suggested that I use the command chroot along with a livedvd and try to remount the partitions and tinker with grub.conf.

He also suggested that I first use fdisk /mbr if I wanted to install windows on a linux machine. Of course sl will be unavailable until i make modifications to the bootloader of windows.

Cheers,
Treaz
treaz
Baby Hen

Re: Error loading operating sytem

Postby eduardhc » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:06

treaz wrote:This is the error: "Error loading operating sytem" (the topic of the thread). Yes, I have tried to install windows on a machine that had SL 3.4a installed. I believe the windows setup messed up the mbr or something. I still don't understand how the process works as i'm new to gentoo (and grub) and I don't know what other details would be useful.

A friend of mine suggested that I use the command chroot along with a livedvd and try to remount the partitions and tinker with grub.conf.

He also suggested that I first use fdisk /mbr if I wanted to install windows on a linux machine. Of course sl will be unavailable until i make modifications to the bootloader of windows.

Cheers,
Treaz

Bootup using the LiveDVD and from the "Install to disk" program choose the "repair boot" option. This will reinstall GRUB and reconfigure the boot for Sabayon.

Cheers
eduardhc
Technological Hen

Re: Error loading operating system

Postby Priswell » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:01

Bootup using the LiveDVD and from the "Install to disk" program choose the "repair boot" option. This will reinstall GRUB and reconfigure the boot for Sabayon.

I had the same problem, and followed these instructions, but I continue to get the same error message. Any further ideas?
Priswell
Young Hen

Postby axolos » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:44

Have the same problem. Recovering boot with the Installer did not help.

Any ideas?
axolos
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 13:55

Talk about resurrecting an old thread! Anyway, if I understand you correctly, when you boot all you see on screen is the message "Error loading operating system", is that the case? No other characters on screen at all? What do you have installed on your PC? Windows 7 and SL 5.3? If more than one OS, which was the one you installed last? Do you have more than one HDD? What is you partition scheme?

Try to restore the boot loader by chrooting into the HDD installation. Follow the instructions in the SL Wiki article HOWTO: Restore Grub2.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**