Static IP set up

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Static IP set up

Postby henkipenki » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:07

I downloaded Sabayon 3.4a and on live dvd session I want to update installer before I install it. I have a static IP address and in knetwork manager there is no option to enter a static IP address. I am new to Sabayon so please can somebody explain step by step how to set up network correctly.
Thanks in advance.
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:10

Try a little searching - this is very common, plus the gentoo handbook has a whole networking section ... _STATIC_IP

Re: Static IP set up

Postby iwbcman » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:16

I ran into this post looking for some description as to how to get static IP up and running and I have had a serious fit of giggles for the past hour.

I am a long time user of Gentoo- started back in the 1.2 days(2002) and I am new to Sabayon and the ultra-modern baselayout packages.

Things have done 180° turnaround over the years. Back in the day setting a static IP was the simplest thing in the world, dhcp was more invovled, and wireless config or network-cable detection was either non-existent or extremely complicated. Now the ultra hard things of yore are default and simple and the simple things of yore have become laughably difficult.

I checked out the wiki page and was just rolling- noobies have to use sed to get something as simple as static ip working WOOT! ahhh gotta love progress.

Anyway thanks for pointing out the wiki page- I spent the last 2 hours pulling hair out as I watched what has become of Gentoo/Sabayons init system, which initially was so wonderful because you could do everything yourself-it was utterly transparent and simple, which has now become the same black magic shit that I know from SuSE, Fedora, and Ubuntu- where services are magically started and stopped out of thin air with nary an executable to be found.

I am sure that this new-fangled hypercomplexity has been created to ease things for new users. I just wish that the spirit of transparency and simplicity had not been shot and left for dead on the side of the road on the wonderful path to udev/hal hotplug ubergoodness.
Baby Hen

Re: Static IP set up

Postby christophocles » Thu Oct 25, 2007 21:45

That is just insane what you have to do just to set a static IP in sabayon. I'm steadily learning more about the ins and outs of linux admin'ing but jeez, that seems a little excessive. I'm going to have to learn quite a bit more about that sed command before I can fully understand what it's doing (pretty sure it's just a find-and-replace but regex's still intimidate me).

Anyway Ubuntu also comes configured for DHCP by default and to disable it all you have to do is change a radio button and enter an IP. Why does gentoo/sabayon require me to disable and unmerge packages in addition to modifying a slew of arcane configuration files just to perform the same task? I never would have figured out how to do that on my own. Thank goodness somebody figured it out and bothered to write a wiki on it.
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless