Migrating from a stock gentoo install

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Migrating from a stock gentoo install

Postby pluto » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:31

Hello all,
I have been running gentoo based desktops and laptops for years now. I'm interested in switching over to sabayon. Starting with a fresh install is not what I have in mind. At present, I have added the sabayon overlay using layman. Would that be sufficient or would I still not get something unless I start off from a live cd?

PS: It would be nice to have this on the wiki to help portage loving users to make the jump from gentoo to sabayon :wink:
pluto
Baby Hen

Postby flick » Sun Aug 05, 2007 15:22

Usually the only things you'll miss by just adding and using the overlay are the devs' excellent Anaconda-based installers, and some neat auto-configuration of things like compiz-fusion. The installer you don't need, obviously, and as for stuff like compiz-fusion, you can always add them, you'll just have to configure them manually. Which, if you've been using Gentoo for years, you're probably way more adept at doing than most Sabayon users, myself included. :lol:
flick
Growing Hen

Postby pluto » Mon Aug 06, 2007 18:10

The interesting this is that all of compiz-fusion packages are available only off cvs. It is kind of hard to imagine that some did all the testing before releasing sabayon 3.4 on a cvs build as opposed to a snapshot.
pluto
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**