Dual boot questions

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Dual boot questions

Postby jukkis83 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:16

Hey, I'd like to setup Sabayon on my home desktop and got few questions conserning the dual boot system. I got some unix experience but dual booting is something quite new. I've tried googling for straight and easy answers for hours and I'm getting...

I have hardware raid 0 with two 320gb drives and they are currently configured for windows use (NTFS) and id like to keep it that way. I got another 250gb drive for storage and 40gb PATA drive for Linux use. All the other drivers are SATA and Sabayon doesnt recognize the raid array at all (the 250gb drive it recognizes fine). When all drives are connected Sabayon says that sda,sdb are the 320gb drives, sdc is the 250gb drive and sdd is the 40 PATA drive.

I'd like to use Windows XP as a primary OS and using XP's boot loader (boot.ini) to manage both Windows and Linux systems. I just dont want to install Grub on the Windows disk. My current setup is that I boot Win XP from raid array (its partioned for 3 logical drives) and I'd like to install the Sabayon to the PATA drive. I was told that is safest to remove all drives before installing and just leave the PATA drive there for the installation duration?

Now should I install grub to the 40gb PATA drive on MBR or not ? And once I've installed Sabayon how do I config the windows boot.ini so I can boot to either Windows or to Linux using it?

Thank you for the help in advance.

**edit spelling**
jukkis83
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Aug 04, 2007 15:20

as far as I know - windows boot manager can't boot linux
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby jukkis83 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 16:02

It can, or atleast i can delecate that to Grub, seen it, just dont know how to do it :(
jukkis83
Baby Hen

Postby jerryf196 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:00

Well i am trying to install windows xp and linux. I installed windows on one partition then linux aon the other and when i reboot I select windows on the GRUB screen it doesn't boot and gives me an error.

How can i set up GRUB properly through the installation steps of Saybayon 3.4. Should I go to the advanced boot options? Or just leave it the way it is and it sets up everything automatically.

Cheers!
jerryf196
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:05

jerryf196 wrote:Well i am trying to install windows xp and linux. I installed windows on one partition then linux aon the other and when i reboot I select windows on the GRUB screen it doesn't boot and gives me an error.

How can i set up GRUB properly through the installation steps of Saybayon 3.4. Should I go to the advanced boot options? Or just leave it the way it is and it sets up everything automatically.

Cheers!

Are you using multiple drives? Which drive has what?

Try looking here:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_boot
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby jerryf196 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:17

i have 4 paritiions in 1 drive

1st partition is a - ntfs (windows installation)
2nd part is a ntfs again
3rd is linus swap partition
4th is the /root partition

Now I know I have to install windows first. But when I install Sabayon how so a install the GRUB. Do i just leave the default options

Jerry
jerryf196
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:28

Install Windows first
Install SL next and install Grub to the MBR

Should be all good
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**