Anaconda problem still there [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Postby driton » Sun Aug 05, 2007 23:08

totedati
I followed your instructions and removed dodmraid but during the installation anaconda reported that ‘exception occurred’ and that this is probably a bug and I should save it to floppy disc and make a bug report. I don’t have a floppy drive and I can’t make a report.
After I rebooted my machine my grub menu of a main distro Mandriva powerpack was destroyed for the third time and I have to make fresh install. Am I doing something wrong or this is a known bug.
Thanks
driton
Baby Hen

Postby totedati » Sun Aug 05, 2007 23:35

driton wrote:but during the installation anaconda reported that

this mean that, following my crazy instructions, now you can go over first blocking problem and you can boot the livedvd ?

driton wrote:I don’t have a floppy drive and I can’t make a report.

floppy disk is a extinct species like dinosaurus some time ago ... use a flash usb pendisk. Is more trendy now ...

driton wrote:After I rebooted my machine my grub menu of a main distro Mandriva powerpack was destroyed for the third time and I have to make fresh install.

and now is time for the usual and somewhat rude, because is after the bad things surprise, memory exercise ... do you backup often? if not, is time to do so. Use a cheap usb flash pendrive, and save to it at least you /boot and /etc directories. If you can, do a backup for you /home directories, NOW, before any attempt to install sabayon linux!

what you mean by grub menu destroyed? That little menu.lst file borked, or grub install to MBR not working?. From my past memory recall i remember that sabayon and mandriva both have a only restore grub MBR option in install step. You can use it to insert at least a functional grub in to MBR, i hope ...

driton wrote:but during the installation anaconda reported that ‘exception occurred’ and that this is probably a bug

sorry, to little info here, have no idea what can be, try to be more explicit here and post some more info ... Try to update anaconda installer before any install step using that little Update Anaconda Installer icon in the LiveDVD session. Can help sometimes, but not all the times.

But don't be afraid, you are not alone, and problems in install step can happen to anybody.
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby phzi » Mon Aug 06, 2007 0:20

the exception is a separate odd bug (although loosely related) - partition your drive manually in anaconda, (don't use LVM or raid?), and preferably start with a clean partition table. Should work. Also, make sure you update your installer (with the desktop icon) before you start the install.

Earlier in this thread we received some dev love that fixed at least one of the exceptions, removing dodmraid successfully solved the other related problems for the rest of us.
phzi
Simple Hen

Postby driton » Mon Aug 06, 2007 0:26

Yes I can boot to live dvd but couple of time it was only white screen so I needed to reboot again. Mandriva has an option to restore grub MBR but it fails to do that. My /home directory is on different partition so is not affected. I tried to update anaconda installer but it fails to update. Now I am at work, tomorrow I will try to copy error report and I will post it here.
Don’t worry I won’t give up easily because I tried Sabayon 3.4 loop 3 and I like it very much.
Thanks
driton
Baby Hen

Postby phzi » Mon Aug 06, 2007 0:28

Only reason I've seen anacona not update is because of a failed network connection. This may be your missing key, do give it a good attempt.
phzi
Simple Hen

Postby driton » Mon Aug 06, 2007 0:38

My partition table is clean because before I started installing Sabayon I have partition my drive and formatted from mandriva.
I will try tomorow to check my network connection and will report back.
driton
Baby Hen

Previous

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**