Really Bad Circular Dependency: avahi and gtkhtml [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Really Bad Circular Dependency: avahi and gtkhtml [Solved]

Postby diamond » Sun Aug 05, 2007 19:21

I removed avahi because I was trying to resolve the blockage between it and mDNSResponder. I didn't realize how many apps depend on avahi, so I'm trying to re-install it and I can't.

Avahi requires gtkhtml, but gtkhtml won't build. It complains about not finding /usr/lib/libavahi-glib.la. But why would that file be there when avahi won't even start to build until gtkhtml is built?

Please help me; my system is completely trashed here. I'm desperate.
Last edited by diamond on Sun Aug 05, 2007 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
diamond
Baby Hen

Postby phzi » Sun Aug 05, 2007 19:51

I'd suggest trying to compiling avahi without gtk/gtk2 support (or maybe vice-versa?).

http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_USE_Flags

And remember to look on the bright side - you're learning! 8)
phzi
Simple Hen

Postby diamond » Sun Aug 05, 2007 19:58

phzi wrote:I'd suggest trying to compiling avahi without gtk/gtk2 support (or maybe vice-versa?).

http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_USE_Flags

I tried putting a "-gtk -gtk2" use flag on it, but when I do "emerge --pretend avahi" it still says that it's going to install gtkhtml. Are there any flags I'm missing?

phzi wrote:And remember to look on the bright side - you're learning! 8)

True. Although if I don't have it resolved soon, I'll just end up wiping my system and re-installing Sabayon.

This is really bizarre. Everything I've found in my searches indicates that gtkhtml depends on avahi, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that the reverse is true. So why does portage think that avahi depends on gtkthml? It just makes no sense.
diamond
Baby Hen

Solved!

Postby diamond » Sun Aug 05, 2007 20:29

OK, that's a relief.

Turns out I needed to disable mono (USE="-mono"). Then avahi installed and built just fine all by itself.

Now almost everything works. Kuroo is still crashing, and it doesn't give me any useful info when it does. But at least I have gtkPod and Totem back.
diamond
Baby Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers