Install Issue New to Sabayon

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Install Issue New to Sabayon

Postby markap » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:38

I tried to find an answer here for hours, with no lick so...

System:
MB: Striker Extreme Gaming
CPU Intel 2.14 Dual Core
4 Gigs DDR2 Ram
SATA DRIVES (NON RAID)
2 x Segate 500 GB - 1 For my digital media, the other for Sabayon (If I can get it to boot)
1 x Segate 750 GB - My Archives

EIDE Drives:
1 x Segate 500 GB (IS primary Boot drive)

CDROM:
Sony Cd/DVD Combo (Generic)

Video Card:
Nvidia 7950 GX2 (2x Viewsonic 24" Digital Flat Panels on DVI)

Just built this box 2 weeks ago, has been running Vista no prob (5.9 Overall Score)

Downloaded and burned 3.3 mini of Sabayon bacause I did not see a mini for 3.4

The Problem:
After I select any sort of boot option, I get a black screen and nothing else.
I did try the boot cheat (F5) then appended : "noddc res=1680x1050 refresh=60 opengl=nvidia"
I tried this on normal, safe and text only. All do the same thing a blank screen right after the kernal boots.

I love this flavor of linux, and would love to use it. can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
markap
Baby Hen

Postby freeallbadgers » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:12

I have 2 suggestions for you, first simply wait for the 3.4 mini edition to be released its only a few weeks away from release(estimated). http://planet.sabayonlinux.org/?p=61

Second is, like you in 3.3 none of the boot codes worked for me, but cause i had such a good experience with 3.26 (everything worked OOTB) so i decided to just install it anyway and hey presto it worked!!.

So i guess you can either be patient or take a "leap of faith" its totally up to you.

Good Luck.
freeallbadgers
Growing Hen

Postby markap » Sun Aug 05, 2007 15:12

Id love to try to take the leap, however, No matter what option i select at boot, i get the blank screen. Does it continue reguardless of the screen? I saw no activity on any of my devices in the 15 minuites i wated.
markap
Baby Hen

Postby freeallbadgers » Sun Aug 05, 2007 17:37

I had exactly the same problem and the install completely resolved the issue.

p.s. did you try the 'nox' option that might help narrow it down to the video card/acceleration setup. But dont let that put you off nvidea cards are very well supported in linux
freeallbadgers
Growing Hen

Postby markap » Sun Aug 05, 2007 17:53

freeallbadgers wrote:I had exactly the same problem and the install completely resolved the issue.

p.s. did you try the 'nox' option that might help narrow it down to the video card/acceleration setup. But dont let that put you off nvidea cards are very well supported in linux

So how exactly do I do an install?

Like I mentioned I boot from the CD and I am presented with the main menu. No matter what option I choose I get a blank screen.

The Issue here is I need to specify the correct HD for this install and If i can not see, I can not choose.

Is there another way to do the install?
markap
Baby Hen

Postby freeallbadgers » Sun Aug 05, 2007 17:58

Ahh now i see, that is a bit of a dilema...... sorry to offer the old tried and trusted advice, did you check the md5 of the download?, did you try burning the iso at a low speed?
freeallbadgers
Growing Hen

Postby markap » Sun Aug 05, 2007 18:03

freeallbadgers wrote:Ahh now i see, that is a bit of a dilema...... sorry to offer the old tried and trusted advice, did you check the md5 of the download?, did you try burning the iso at a low speed?

The ISO is fine it ran well on my lasptop
markap
Baby Hen

Postby freeallbadgers » Sun Aug 05, 2007 18:05

Ah well, just hold out for the 3.4 mini, or you could try the 3.4a dvd.

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful.
freeallbadgers
Growing Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**