Logitech webcam support?

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Logitech webcam support?

Postby greythorne » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:27

Hello,

does Sabayon-3.4a has any support for logitech webcam?

Regards.
greythorne
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Aug 04, 2007 15:15

wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby davemc » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:44

lol! You know I have basicly the same webcam and I hosed it up by messing with that wiki. Fact is that it should work out of the box because the driver is already compiled into the kernel. It uses uvcvideo, or at least mine does, and post 2.6.19, its good to go. Use Ekiga to test or compile luvcview and use that. Both work great except for audio record, and for that just use ffmpeg. If you need more help post your lsusb -v
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby gazal » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:33

This is mine. Any more help will be very useful.
Thank you

Code: Select all
EDIT: (Too long)
Last edited by gazal on Wed Aug 15, 2007 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
gazal
Advanced Hen

Postby kobeyashi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 17:16

Is there any software for Sabayon users which allows video conferencing/chatting on MSN and Yahoo? :)
kobeyashi
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 18:32

^I don't know about Yahoo, but amsn can be used for MSN.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Logitech webcam support?

Postby edgevision » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:41

Normally, I would refer you to http://packages.gentoo.org, but in the light of its recent downtime, check out http://www.gentoo-portage.com, and search "yahoo."
edgevision
Growing Hen

Postby ScottAS » Wed Aug 29, 2007 18:31

All.

As far as I am aware, Sabayon GNU/Linux boasts excellent hardware support for Logitech Inc. Webcameras. I own a Logitech Communicate STX Webcamera and, on inserting the device and accessing Kopete IM's Video pane, the Operating System successfully detected and configured my device automatically therefore I would assume that the majority of Logitech Inc.'s products are compatible with the distrobution; Sabayon GNU/Linux is the only distrobution I have used which has provided support for every device I own. It's fantastic!

:D

Scott
ScottAS
Young Hen

Postby carlo1973 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 16:46

Hi there. I'm relatively new to Sabayon. I keep hearing lots of good things about it. I've been using Ubuntu for the last 6 months or so but unfortunatly it's no longer appealing to me. The big reason is after the upgrade to Fiesty my webcam no longer worked at all. Worked fine in Edgy. I thought it was the cam considering it was giving me problems in windows as well, so I replaced it with a Logitech Orbit webcam. Whats weird is that I can see it in luvcview (and it does display image) and even the default multimedia testing program built into Ubuntu - but absolutly no software I have downloaded for Ubuntu seems to recognise the cam at all IE: Ekiga, amsn (I got it to work but only after some seriouse tweaking), Gyachi sidestep (compiled for v4l2 from source), koepete, and even a tv application I cant remember the name at this particular moment due to 3 hours of sleep - could not display an image.

Koepete crashes when it tries to activate the cam
the tv application initializes the cam (I see the red activity light on the cam turn on then off after a second) but does not display an image
Ekiga just simply says I have no camera
amsn - as I said I got it to work after compiling from a cvs and installing another driver I found on the net - also compiled from snapshot
gyachi gives me mmbuffer errors trying to start the cam

Has anyone had any form of success with the logitech orbit webcam in sabayon?

I'll switch today if I can get it to work. I'm slowly migrating my applications over from Windows to a linux/bsd environment. Just trying to find the right flavor/distro for me. I dont mind a little bit of work to get things working, but I need to get them working LOL! The last big hurdle I have is the chat aspect right now as I do video conferencing in Yahoo and msn.

Oh just so you know - I baught the cam after my creative labs camera decided to stop working at all in Ubuntu. In Windows it would randomly be acknowledged. Sometimes said it was disconected. Figured the cam died. It was about 4 years old. Figured it was time to upgrade. Read somewhere on the net that the QuickCam Orbit was limitedly supported by linux - but I figured that just mean that the pan tilt zoom features did not work and you didn't get the funky avatar things - all of which are not necessary for what i need however I figured in the future the ptz features would eventually get figured out and the driver/apps upgraded as that happens. right now i'd just be happy to get the cam to work in chat programs consitantly.

Any help on this matter or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks a bunch!

Carlo
carlo1973
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware