Unable to install EasyTag [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Unable to install EasyTag [Solved]

Postby Lucidor » Sun Jul 29, 2007 19:00

Hello, I'm new here, has been using Linux for about a year (was running MS products prior to that) and recently migrated from SuSE to Sabayon. I did have some initial problems with my ATI Radeon 9800pro graphics card and after much struggle replaced it with a new NvIDIA card. That made everything run right out of the box, including AIGLX! I have Virtualbox running XP as I have GPS charting software that is not available under Linux. I even learned to emerge a few packages from portage that I found missing in the original distribution (like Thunderbird).

Now to my problem. One of the few programs I miss from my SuSE days is EasyTag, a simple yet powerful MP3 tagging tool. I found it in portage but it fails to install. When running "emerge media-sound/easytag", I get the following link errors:

bisfile.so /usr/lib/libvorbis.so /usr/lib/libogg.so -lm
et_core.o: In function `ET_Display_File_Data_To_UI':
et_core.c:(.text+0x3cb5): undefined reference to `Ogg_Header_Display_File_Info_To_UI'
et_core.o: In function `ET_Add_File_To_File_List':
et_core.c:(.text+0x5428): undefined reference to `Speex_Header_Read_File_Info'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [easytag] Fel 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Fel 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Fel 1
make: *** [all] Fel 2
* ERROR: media-sound/easytag-2.1.2 failed.

Does this point to that the package is broken, or that I did something wrong? I am not very good with portage and friends, and from what I read in this forum, the learning curve is steep. I guess I could bite the bullet and study, but I rather spend my time actually using the computer, not administrating it. I'm not lazy, I just feel that I'm very close to get the Sabayon installation to where I want it to be apart from one or two details, and I pray that the final pieces of the puzzle will not cost me two months of hard work and studying. And besides, my wife would not accept it... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Lucidor on Fri Aug 03, 2007 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Lucidor
Young Hen

Postby freeallbadgers » Sun Jul 29, 2007 20:03

theres so many id3 taggers, its a google job
freeallbadgers
Growing Hen

Postby Lucidor » Sun Jul 29, 2007 20:58

I followed your advice, google'd for ID3 Linux editors and found what seemed like a potential replacement: kid3.

However, emerging this fellow rendered similar errors, so I'm beginning to think something is seriously wrong with my system:

oggfile.o:(.rodata._ZTV7OggFile[vtable for OggFile]+0xb4): undefined reference t
o `OggFile::getTagFormatV2() const'
flacfile.o:(.rodata._ZTV8FlacFile[vtable for FlacFile]+0xb4): undefined referenc
e to `OggFile::getTagFormatV2() const'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [kid3] Fel 1
make[2]: *** [all] Fel 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Fel 1
make: *** [all] Fel 2
* ERROR: media-sound/kid3-0.9 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 1648: Called dyn_compile
* ebuild.sh, line 988: Called qa_call 'src_compile'
* ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_compile
* kid3-0.9.ebuild, line 60: Called kde_src_compile
* kde.eclass, line 170: Called kde_src_compile 'all'
* kde.eclass, line 340: Called kde_src_compile 'myconf' 'configure' 'make'
* kde.eclass, line 336: Called die
* died running emake, kde_src_compile:make

Ideas, anyone?
:scratch:
Lucidor
Young Hen

Postby freeallbadgers » Sun Jul 29, 2007 21:13

all major(sic) mp3 clients will edit md3, its a common feature, you dont need a standalone app

lol i mean id3
freeallbadgers
Growing Hen

Postby darkscot » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:54

freeallbadgers wrote:all major(sic) mp3 clients will edit md3, its a common feature, you dont need a standalone app

If you have 10,000+ MP3s you do!
Of all the tagging tools out there, EasyTag is the best I have tried. I have been using it for years (in Linux & Windows) and it worked fine with SL 3.3. If it is not working with 3.4 then it is bad news. I have just upgraded to 3.4 yesterday but not got around to emerging EasyTag, I will try it tonight and see how it goes.
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Postby darkscot » Mon Jul 30, 2007 18:33

Maybe the problem is you did
Code: Select all
emerge media-sound/easytag

I have just done
emerge easytag

and it worked perfectly!
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Postby Lucidor » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:35

That is good news, I will try it tonight!

As previously mentioned, I got similar problems with kid3 so I ended up downloading and installing the old fashion way which worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, that means that my installed packages are now out of sync with the database, but I guess one or two exceptions is managable.

On the other hand, on my laptop running Sabayon 3.3, I managed to install via emerge, so I'm not sure what is going on here. I might have some settings all wrong on my desktop computer.
Lucidor
Young Hen

Postby Lucidor » Fri Aug 03, 2007 20:53

Nope, I got the same result again.

I think that some library module is missing in my make.conf. Could somebody be kind and post a working make.conf as reference?
Lucidor
Young Hen

Postby DontPanic » Fri Aug 03, 2007 21:41

I've been able to emerge both the stable easytag version (2.0) and the unstable version (2.1.2) without a problem. Here's the emerge flags used by my build.

# emerge --ask easytag

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] media-sound/easytag-2.1.2  USE="aac flac mp3 speex vorbis -wavpack"

I notice easytag wasn't looking for an 'ogg' USE flag, but I do have the 'ogg' USE flag set in my make.conf file.

I also have the following libraries loaded (but I really don't have any idea if these are all that are needed)
media-libs/libogg-1.1.3
media-libs/libvorbis-1.1.2
media-libs/flac-1.1.2-r8
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby Lucidor » Fri Aug 03, 2007 22:12

It turned out I lacked both the vorbis and the -wavpack USE flags. I typed them in and easytag compiled and installed like a charm! I have no idea why they were missing in the first place.

I learned a lot about portage and Sabayon/Gentoo in the last few days, and I'm gradually becoming more confident in this new environment. I was not aware of the --ask argument to emerge, that was a great discovery also. Anyway, thank you all for the help! Let me see if I can figure out how to put the subject into [SOLVED] mode.
Lucidor
Young Hen

Next

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers