emerge portage hangs after 3.3 to 3.4 upgrade

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

emerge portage hangs after 3.3 to 3.4 upgrade

Postby Learnincurve » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:53

Hi,

I just upgraded Sabayonlinux 3.3 to 3.4 using the standard upgrade option from the installer (removing packages not present on the medium).

Everything looks okay apart from 2 problems:

1. Not a portage problem, but I'll post here in case it's related:

Init hangs at "Loading Key mappings" and I have to escape it each time it is calles to continue the boot process. I have no problem with the keyboard once the system is loaded.

2. I did "# emerge --sync" and as portage has been updated I tried "# emerge portage"
This hangs at "Regenerating GNU directory index..."

I see no error messages. It just hangs without disk activity.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

I'm posting the key mappings problem in another post.

Cheers!
Learnincurve
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Wed Aug 01, 2007 23:11

Did you ever fix this problem?

Have you added the '-v' option to get more verbose output when running the emerge commands? Although I don't usually get much additional output when I use '-v' in emerge, it's something to try.
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

"solved" with fresh install

Postby Learnincurve » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:45

In the end I just did a fresh install (not upgrade). I have /home on a seperate partition so had no problems. System came up with the user data intact, and the machine is happily crunching away doing a world update whilst I'm at work.

I also had problems with key mappings after the upgrade, and saw that other users had also had problems with these after upgrading.

Maybe the repair option would have worked, but with a /home partition I don't really see the advantage of an upgrade. I can re-edit my conf scripts much quicker than the extra time an upgrade takes over an install (it had deleted my net startup config anyway ;-) ).

Thanks for posting back!
Learnincurve
Baby Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers