thunderbird confusion

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

thunderbird confusion

Postby sterilegenie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 19:19

I know that thunderbird was removed from the install pprcess so i fired up portato and did a searck for "thunderbird" and it comes back with mozilla-thunderbird and mozilla-thunderbird.bin. I was not really sure which one i was to use, so i installed mozilla-thunderbird. Everything installed fine but theres no menu entry for thunderbird. What now?
sterilegenie
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 20:12

Look under "office". I don't know why it's placed there, but it was when I emerged it. You can also run it from the "Run Command" - just enter thunderbird.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby edgevision » Tue Jul 31, 2007 20:15

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take to emerge mozilla-thunderbird? I would have emerged mozilla-thunderbird-bin, as I just don't have the patience. :P
edgevision
Growing Hen

Postby sterilegenie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 20:34

edgevision It took me close to an hour to emerge on my "less than stellar" 1.8ghz sempron.

dunsurfin Thunderbird is installed under the office menu. That seems kind of an odd place to put it.
sterilegenie
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 20:42

edgevision wrote:Just out of curiosity, how long did it take to emerge mozilla-thunderbird? I would have emerged mozilla-thunderbird-bin, as I just don't have the patience. :P

It took me about 30 minutes on an Athlon 64 X2 4200. I've only just found out about the "bin" way of doing things and may have done the same had I known.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby koch » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:01

amd x2 4600...

about 30 minutes with "emerge mozilla-thunderbird", no .bin, works great as ever.
koch
Growing Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers